“You can’t attach it all by yourself,” he mumbled. Totally not expecting his move, you could only freeze in shock. He was terribly close. He was so immersed in hooking the necklace that his brows twitched every now and then, which to your surprise, you found cute. You gulped and tried hard not to blush. But miserably failed.

“There. Done.” He smirked as he slid the hook to the nape of your neck and made sure the pendant rested just in the middle of your collarbone. As he looked up, his nose lightly brushed on your jaw, making your nerves tingle. He noticed your red cheeks, and then his eyes grazed over your lips. The sound of your heartbeat grew louder. That’s weird.

Clearing his throat, he shifted back to his seat. You rewrapped your scarf around your neck. There was silence.

“Um... thanks... for the necklace.” You made sure not to look at him, and you were pretty sure he didn’t dare look at you too. I mean, the scene earlier was so awkward.

“Don’t think about it. It’s already yours.”

“I’m sorry anyway... if I bothered you, or anything. I don’t usually talk to strangers, and I’m not good at comforting people either. So I’m sorry if I annoyed you.”

He suddenly chuckled, but decided to ride along. “Yeah, you didn’t even introduce yourself.”

“Oh! Sorry! I’m Yoo ____.” You bowed frantically.

“I’m Kai.” He beamed and offered his hand. You accepted it, and felt a moment of awe at his warm hands. Whoa, how could he stay warm at a temperature like this? “You didn’t really bother me. I’m actually glad I have some company. Just like the others, I don’t like to be alone on Christmas Eve.”

You just nodded. When Kai noticed your silence, he scooted closer again and playfully nudged you.

“So since you’re wearing the necklace, you have to pretend to be my best friend today.”

“Yeah, and I’ll say, ‘No, Kai, I just want to be friends.’” You made a silly girly tone, making him scrunch up his nose. He proceeded to pinch your nose. “OWWW!! What the hell was that for?!!”

“Just a ‘thank you’ pinch.” He smiled innocently while you rubbed your poor nose. What? There’s a “thank you” pinch?!! When on earth did a Thank You hurt?!!

“Yah, are you mad?” He poked you when you haven’t smiled yet. You decided to turn your back to him, pretending to be upset. Pfft, can’t believe he’s falling for this. It’s kind of funny that you can joke around each other like this though you just met a few minutes ago. It’s like you’ve been friends since forever.

“Yah, _____, did it hurt that much?” He craned his neck around your shoulder to look at you, but you hid your face behind your scarf. He sounded really concerned lol. He suddenly transferred to sit in front of you and gently held down your scarf. He caught you smiling. His concerned face turned to an are-you-frickin-kidding-me look. he cupped your cheeks and vigorously squished, making you do a puff face.

“Yah stop that!” You tried to pry his hands away, but he continued squishing.

“You’re such a little troll aren’t you? We’re gonna go along just fine.” He smiled innocently. As soon as he let go, he patted your hair and chuckled. You were about to say something rude again, but then noticed this lively glint in his eyes again. He looked rather... happy?

You decided to just lay an arm over his shoulder. Why not? You were supposed to be his best friend tonight after all. “It’s okay Kai. Every time you’re ditched, I’ll always be here for you. Your substitute best friend.”

He turned his head to look at you. “Who told you you’re just a substitute?”

“Um... Well, I kinda thought that was what you were implying?”

Smiling, he wrapped an arm around your waist and strangely, you felt this automatic urge to lay your head on his shoulder. And you did.

“You’re not just a substitute. From now on, you’re my best friend. And just like what I said, we’re gonna get along just fine.”

“So, like, you’re friend-zoning me now?”

“... shut up.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*