“Why did you want to throw that anyway? It looks pretty.” You nodded at the box, which was wrapped in a cute pink wrapper. It even had ha small bow at the top.

“It’s useless already.” He mumbled. This mischievous smile crawled on your lips as you tilted your head to mock him.

“Why? Did your girlfriend reject it?”

“No,” He gave you a sideward glare, but immediately returned to frowning at the item. “And she’s not my girlfriend.”

“Oh, I think I get it.” You shifted closer as you waved the cotton candy in the air. “You’re about to ask her to be your girlfriend tonight, but she rejected you!”

“I got ditched,” he sounded annoyed, making you flinch back. Um ok sorry dude. I’m kind of bad at comforting sad people. “We’re supposed to spend Christmas Eve together, but I guess she went with that other guy she likes. She didn’t even leave a message.”

“Ooooh. So you’re the friend-zoned guy.” You clucked your tongue. “Yeah, that’s pretty bad.”

You looked down at your cotton candy as you started to muse about that one time in high school when you tried to befriend your crush and you became best of friends, but then he got a girlfriend and you were left rotting in the friend-zone. Ugh that was such a nightmare. Anyway good thing he transferred to another school so you got over him quickly. The friend-zoned guy suddenly nudged you. You realized he’d been poking at you for about 20 times already while you were in a trance.

“Yah I’m talking to you!”

“Yeah yeah I’m up! Sheesh,” you grumbled and finally faced him again. His eyes were kind of glinting in amusement, but he was still frowning though, so you really couldn’t tell.

“I said, why are you alone? Eating candy all by yourself?”

“It’s boring in the house. My family is away.” You said nonchalantly and nibbled on the cotton candy again. You offered some to him, and he happily pinched a small part.

“So you’re alone too.”

“Yeap.” You noticed he was frowning at the box again. “What’s that anyway? May I see?”

He paused, trying to decide, and eventually shrugged and passed it to you. You looked at all sides of the box, wondering how to open it without ruining the pretty wrapping.

“Just open it,” Friend-zoned guy suddenly sighed as he grabbed it back. He started ripping mercilessly, and handed it back to you. Carefully, you opened the lid, and a very beautiful necklace met your eyes. It had a thin chain, and a cute little hexagon pendant. You gently ran a finger over it, marveling at how something simple could be so pretty.

“You can have it.”

That made you freeze. “What?”

He licked his lip to hold back his smile. “If you don’t want me to throw it into the fountain, take it.”

Your brows furrowed. His words don’t match his actions at all. “Fine, I’ll take it.” You grumbled and shoved the cotton candy into his hands. You pulled the necklace out of its case and squinted your eyes to undo the hook. You better wear it already before this guy takes back his word. Not even caring about the cold, you loosened your scarf to wrap the necklace around your neck. You tried to hook it back, but you failed every time. You felt friend-zoned guy scoot closer and grab the hook from you, sighing.