He stares unblinkingly, as he gazes, not a lick of emotion on his face. His hand suddenly moves to his back pocket and I watch him pull out a phone and hold it out in my direction.

"Five minutes. No telling where you are, this phone is highly protected in case your friend decides to search this phone."

A grin spreads across my lips, he lost me the minute he said 'five minutes' and I was already making my way towards him. A few inches from him now, I reach out my hand and take the flip phone our fingers grazing. A zap of electricity flows through me and I snap my hand back, startled.

I look up at his face, his features darkening a bit, not dwelling on it, I step away and instantly start to dial those familiar numbers.

I place the phone to my ear, the ringing echoing, I couldn't help but look over my shoulder to see Delano was still watching me. That's when the phone picks up and my hearts beats faster.

"Hello," Maddie's voice sounds through, sounding lifeless. It brings tears to my eyes.

"Maddie. ." I whisper, chuckling brokenly.

A sharp intake of breath was heard and the sound of shuffling. "Holy shit. ." she whispers, " Kaitlyn is that you?"

My eyes flicker up, the welling behind my eyes beginning to burn, "Yeah."

"Oh my. . you bïtch!" she screams, causing me to laugh, "Where the fûck are you?! Wait! It doesn't matter, just come back home, we have a lot of talking to do, mainly about where the hell you been."

My heart tears in two, a tear slipping. "I can't. ." my voice is hoarse and quiet and I almost thought she didn't hear me.

"Whadda mean yo áss can't!? Where are you?" desperation was clear in her tone, noises going on in the background.

I shake my head, knowing she can't see. "I can't say," I stretch, a few more tears falling. My hand shoots up and wipe them, rubbing my hand on jeans.

"Babes, what's going on? Why won't. ." there's a moment of her silence, "Did someone take you?"

My own since answers her question. "Who was it? Is he in the room with you? That's why you can't tell me anything?!"

My eyes cut over to Delano to see his eyes turn away at the last minute.

"Maddie," I start off softly, the clog in my throat making it harder to speak. "All I wanted you to know is that I'm safe and that I love you."

"Kaitlyn. . ."

"I promise; I'm safe."

The silence she encased herself in stretched before she spoke again, and her voice was low and shaking.

"You kept the baby, right?"

A small smile made its way to my face, "Yes,"  I say, my hand sliding down to touch the bump that could clearly be seen by the tight T-shirt, "I did."

Maddie was quiet once more, and the next time she spoke her voice was filled with determination. "I'll find you, Kaitlyn, I promise."

I grip the phone tighter to my ear, my palm sweating and endless tears falling down my wet cheeks.

"Goodbye, Maddie."

"Kaitlyn wai—" beep!

•••
[ edited ]

"Not About Angels" by Birdy was playing while I wrote the conversation scene 💔