Acceptant & Confession (pt. 19)

It was 9 AM on Wednesday morning, and Kendall along with the rest of the cheer team had arrived in front of the auditorium located inside a freaking Disney Land for cryin out loud. She shook her head seeing Hailey jumping with joy thinking they’re going to have a trip instead of competing in the National Championship.

The moment Gigi calmed the ditsy blonde, their Coach instructed them to come inside while she was doing all the administration for her team. The brunette looked around and somewhat surprised that the auditorium was already packed that early.

The competition wouldn’t even start for the next two hours, yet it already filled with a ton of people. Most of them were either the supporters or cheerleading enthusiasts, and the rest were family and friends from some of the teams.

“Ready?” Gigi asked quiet enough so only the four of them could hear.

“No, but do I have a choice?” Kendall told her vice captain.

“Well, I’m so fucking ready, I think I could dance non stop for the whole day!” Hailey said excitedly.

“Easy there energizer bunny,” Joan joined the conversation, then turned her attention to her captain. “How’s your shoulder? I really hope you’re not taking any meds, or else you’ll be drowsy all day.”

“I’ll be fine,” Kendall simply said.

“Okay gather around all of you!” Coach Grand ordered the team to give them a briefing.

“Kay, listen to me. We’re going to perform twice. One is for the freestyle dance choreography and one is for the pyramid formation choreography. So for once, whatever problems you’re having with your teammates, forget the hell out of it! Because let me tell you, any of you mess this up, I’m gonna be your biggest problem! Capiche?!” she said, satisfied when everyone was either nodding or saying 'yes ma'am'.

“Alright good, now go behind the stage, since we were there last year winner we have our own waiting room. So go stretch there, prepare yourself, and practice the routines if you have to. Just don’t hurt yourself. Now, go!” Coach briefed them before everyone cheered in unison.

“Jenner, come here a sec.” Kendall heard her Coach said.

“Nice pep talk,” Kendall cheekily said, while the rest of the team went behind the stage.

“Don’t be a smartass,” Coach said in a flat tone, unamused with the tall brunette.

“So, based on the last night practice at the hotel, I could see your cringing expression every time you pulled your left arm. Understandable since I bet your shoulder hurt like shit, but here’s the thing. Since you pulled a crazy decision to perform in that condition, that means you brought this shit yourself. So if I see that cringe look on your face when you’re on stage, I’ll slap you myself! Understand me?!”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“Good. Now go, lead your team. I have to take care some things here first.”

Kendall gulped then nodded, somehow she felt overwhelmed with everything at this point. It was a bittersweet moment to be in this competition for the last time. She didn’t know whether she’s going to miss this or not. Mostly she probably would. Because like it or not, this was something that Kendall good at. She could go pro with cheerleading.

But instead, she chose not to.

She knew her decision hurt her Coach more than anything. Despite all the cold and stern attitude, she knew her Coach liked her more than any of her teammates. She cared about Kendall in her own way, and the brunette knew that all this cold and stern façade her Coach gave her all the time was just a mask.