One

"Have fun... I'll see you in two weeks," my mom said and signed to me giving me a big hug afterward.

I hugged her tightly. I pulled away after a moment. 'I'll see you soon.' I signed and hugged her one more time.

She grabbed my face gently. "Be safe... don't get lost... please be safe," she said.

I read her lips carefully. "I won't," I whispered.

"Have fun," she said.

I nodded. "I will.... goodbye mom. See you soon," I said grabbing my bag going over with the rest of my class.

It was the summer of my Freshman year. I went to Washington School for the Deaf. I live in the state of Washington. I've lived there my entire life. I wasn't born deaf. When I was five years old I began to lose my hearing. By the time I was seven I had lost 90% of my hearing in both of my ears. When I was nine, I couldn't hear at all. Apparently, I had some sort of genetic disorder.  Once I lost my full hearing, things became hard. I lost many friends, I missed school, I isolated myself. But then my mom enrolled me at a school for the deaf and things got easier. I made new friends, got good grades and things went back to normal.

Currently, I'm going to Italy for my language class. It's a two-week trip. 15 of us went.  They offered for me to go last minute and I said yes. We get eight college credits for going.

I looked up at Mr. Evens seeing his hand raised as he was about to speak. "Everyone stay close," our teacher said, then passed out our plane tickets.

I took my ticket and looked up waiting for directions. "Alright everyone we're moving," he said along with signed. He turned around walking towards the TSA.

We followed Mr. Evens as we slowly got through the TSA checkpoint. Mr. Evens helped us as none of the security knew sign language. (Which was now the second time I've been to the airport where no one knew sign language.)

Once we all passed through TSA he put his hand up. "Alright everyone, you can look around, get some food but meet us at terminal C, in 30 minutes," he said signing in front of all of us. 

We brought our carry-on luggage over to where our Mr. Evens was, as he was going to watch it.

Hannah and Cameron came over to me. 'Let's go get some food' Cameron signs.

I nodded 'Sure.'

We headed over to a pizza place. "Izzy, what do you want?" He asked slowly.

I read his lips. I sighed knowing Mr.Evens would like us to practice our speech. I still prefer signing though. "Umm Hawaiian," I said slowly.

Cameron is the son of the principal. He is a nice boy. He was one of my first friends along with Hannah. Cameron lost hearing in his right ear and 50% of it in his left. Hannah can hear the most out of everyone I know. (From this school.)

Cameron goes over and orders. "Can I get a piece of Hawaiian and two pepperoni,"

We stood over to the side while they got us our pizza.  Cameron paid and came over handing me mine.  "Thanks," I looked down.

He nodded.

We headed back to our terminal waiting to board.

Slowly our group gathered back around us as we talked amongst ourselves.

Pretty soon we boarded the plane and we were off to Italy.