Case Eleven: Clear As Sky, Dark As Night (Part 1)

He is stupefied. Something is not right. Something not right just happened.

Sooyoung stares to him and she smiles a bit, like saying, 'I am sorry' kind of smile.

"What..., what did you just say??"

"HYUNG!!" Sehun is jolted, literally, to hear another voice and so he does turn, only to see Hyunwoo, his youngest brother, is approaching him. He waves as he runs toward Sehun. Sooyoung tilts her head a bit, and smiles to see Hyunwoo. "What are you doing here?"

Hyunwoo is a bit exhausted but he manages to smile politely, "I want to pick you up! Yerim noona is the one who drive! Come on, hyung, let's celebrate the Christmas, well, late one, together! We can eat as much as we can!"

"What?"

"Hyung, are you alright?" Hyunwoo asks in confusion and then he realizes Sehun isn't alone. A woman is standing in front of Sehun. "Uh, hello? My name is Oh Hyunwoo, Miss--"

"Park Sooyoung," Sooyoung introduces herself, "I am your brother's partner."

Sehun turns to her and his stare is unreadable, at least, for Sooyoung. But she keeps smiling all the way, "partner? Wait, you are a police officer? You are a detective? You look so young! And beautiful, too! You must not be at the same age as my brother here."

"No," she shakes her head, "I am six years younger than him."

"Wow, hyung! You are lucky to have a very beautiful partner like this!" Hyunwoo giggles but his giggle is lost when he realizes that Sehun stares deathly to him. He composes himself and bows, once more, "it is a pleasure to meet you, Detective Park."

"The pleasure is mine."

"Hey!" Hyunwoo suddenly shouts, "we can celebrate the Christmas together! Would you come with us? I am sure Yerim noona is happy if you come."

"She--"

"I have to go back to my place..., my sister's place. I need to be with my family in the morning, so I can't go to your party. Sorry, Hyunwoo-sshi." Sehun is stupefied again, as he doesn't even know what to react.

"Oh, is that so?" Hyunwoo sounds disappointed. On the other hand, Sehun still stares to Sooyoung, who keeps smiling as if there is nothing happened and actually, avoids any eye contacts with him. "I will go, then."

"With your vespa?" Sehun finally asks to her, and she has to (awkwardly) stare to him, "I will take taxi, or anything. I am fine; I am big girl, Detective Oh. I can take care of myself."

"But--"

"Good bye, everyone." Sooyoung quickly turns and leaves the scene. Her eyes are actually teary, as she knows his reaction could only mean one thing: he doesn't expect anything, thus that means he doesn't have any particular feelings toward her. Sehun is never acting like that if he anticipates it, so that shows that he never thinks that there could be something more between them. The answer is clear as sky: Sehun doesn't feel the same way like she does.

And it hurts. Sooyoung is not someone that never gotten rejected, so she has felt this kind of same feeling, however, it still stings. And to think that he is her partner, her senior, that she needs to work with and spends the time with; the thought makes her feel like she shouldn't do that before. She shouldn't do what Seulgi said or pushed since. She shouldn't be too impulsive back then. Therefore, their relationship will not be this awkward. She can't even want to think about what happens when the case comes again.

HONK! Sooyoung is awaken from her daydreaming and sees Minho's car is approaching her. "Where do you want to go, Detective Park?"

Sooyoung blinks a bit and smiles, "I want to go home, but riding my vespa might be dangerous. I want to see if there is a taxi nearby."