Chapter 57

Percy's POV

I saw Annabeth's eyes asking for help. I quickly thought of something in my brain. Which was new for me to think fast.

"What you have heard or seen is false. Leo and Annabeth are friends," I spoke.

I saw Annabeth relax a little bit.

"Yes of course Leo and I are like siblings. The reason why that day we were at the restaurant was because we were discussing a new song." She said firmly.

-----

Interviews are just the worst! I couldn't let anything ruin our image. It has been 2 hours since the conference. I wanted to relax, but...

"Yes?" I was standing right in front of Annabeth, with no shirt on.

"I see you have found a distraction." A smirk played on my lips.

"Um," I looked up at him, "I came to ask if you wanted to wanted to explore Miami with me?"

"Hmm, and why with me exactly?" I  flexed. She was obviously looking at my abs!

"Well duh! We have to make people believe this," she pointed to both of us, "is real."

"Right. . ."

"Look, do you want to go or not?!"

"Fine, let me get ready."

"Okay, I'll go do the same." She  walked back to her room.

30 minutes later we were dressed and out the door.

----

We spent the whole time walking around, meeting people, taking pictures, and eating. Something about this makes it feel like everything was still okay but, deep inside I know it isn't. Everywhere we went people said we were soulmates and we were great. It hurt to know that in reality there was nothing of that. Annabeth just didn't want to stay with me. I know she's doing this for the job. I just wish it was more.

Eventually, the press found us and we dashed. We ran and escaped. We were both tired and laughing. We ended up right in front of the beach.

"Up for a beach walk?" I turned to her.

"Sure the sun's about to set anyway." She ran to the edge of the water.

We sat on a rock overlooking the water. We sat there in comfortable silence. The sky showed yellow, red, and orange. There was a burning question inside of me. It needed to be asked.

"Do you hate me? Would you have left me if it weren't for the contract?"

"I don't hate you," her eyes focused on the horizon, "but, I was disappointed. I maybe would have left you but, I don't know, Percy."

"Annabeth, I still love you and you don't know how much I hate myself right now. I'm so, so sorry. I know I can't go back and changed what happened. I wish you could just at least forgive me."

"Percy, you can't change the past. What happened, happened there's no doubt about that."

She shed a tear.

"I- I have tried to bring myself to forgive you but, I can't. Every time I see the wig I get flooded by reminders.  Something had to be given, something had to break. I gave my commitment and look what got broken."

"But we can fix it trust me, please?"

"Things are different now Percy. Maybe we're not cut out to make this work. Maybe it is better to fake it if we can't have the real thing." Her voice sounded weak.

"Why are you so negative." I raised my voice.

"Percy I'm not. It's just what's going on right now! Things can't be the way they were! You have to understand that! Is it that difficult?"

"Gods, Annabeth I'm being difficult? Why are you being so difficult? I'm trying to fix us." I run my hand through my hair.

"Percy, please. If you want to know why I can't forgive you, ask yourself why you kissed Calypso even if you knew she wasn't me. Then and only then will you know."

"That-"

"You are exactly what I thought you were in the beginning, a womanizer. Apparently, you won't change. I guess it was a mistake giving you my heart."

Annabeth ran to the car. I chased after her. We drove back in silence. When we got  back I grabbed her wrist but, pulled away and ran inside crying. I slammed my hands on the wheel and started to cry. I am so stupid I pushed things too far. I might look strong but, when it comes down to Annabeth, I break down. I guess she's the only person who has made me fall in love so deeply that I break. Now I think we won't recover from this. I stay in the car and cried. She did this to me. She said she loved me. What happened to that?

I love her. . .