Chapter 8

The next day after the band got here was surprisingly calm. Percy was in most of my classes but so were the other boys. Piper, Hazel, Calypso, and I were given death stares from other girls because Heroes were with us at all times. I was slightly irritated by it but eventually, I decided to let it go.

"So guys I was thinking that we could go dress shopping for Friday's dance. I was looking at this one red-" Calypso said

"Wait, what dance?" I interrupted.

"Annabeth, you seriously didn't remember the winter dance?" I nodded my head and Calypso continued, "The dance is on Friday and we should go shopping tomorrow after school."

"I'm in, but are we doing dates or no date this year? Last year's dates were a disaster." Piper shook her in disappointment.

"We can go without dates, just us. We're not the first people to do it or the last." Hazel said

"You can do that or you can choose to go with us?" Jason spoke up from behind us.

We turned around and saw all four boys holding a different-colored rose. Leo had a pink rose, Jason had a yellow one, Frank had a white one, and Percy had a red one. The boys stood in front of us, Leo with Caly, Jason with Piper, Hazel, and Frank, and Percy with me. Thank gods everyone was in the cafeteria and they didn't do all this in front of everyone.

Piper then asked, "Wouldn't Reyna not like her boyfriend going to a dance with another girl as his date?"

"She won't. I explained the situation and she understands. Besides we're all asking you intending to go as friends." He responded.

"Friends that get to wear matching outfits." Hazel pointed out.

''Exactly. In that case, girls will you guys go to the dance with us?" They all spoke in unison.

"Yes!" Piper and Hazel yelled.

"Sure, what the heck." Calypso smiled.

When I didn't say anything all of them looked at me. Percy looked nervous. I wasn't going to lie and say that a small part of me hoped that Luke would remember and ask me. With Percy's crush on me, I would also feel bad if I just left him hanging.

"Don't worry Superstar, I'll go with you to the dance. As friends and this doesn't mean I mean I like you one hundred percent." I laughed.

Then they all burst out laughing. Percy then pulled me into a hug all of a sudden, he smell like the sea. I heard Piper squeal, I simply rolled my eyes. Time went by and it was time for our next class. Leo and I walked together.

"You had Percy scared for a moment. Very brutal." Leo chuckled.

"It wasn't my intention, but at least now he knows not to mess with me," I smirked.

"Would you have said no, like honesty?"

"I don't know. I mean, to be honest, I was hoping that someone else would ask. I guess Percy was just faster and I said yes." I admitted.

"Life isn't always how we plan. I understand. You had your life before we popped up. No worries." He reassured me.

"You know, you are not what I expected. You are a good listener. Even though I just met you, you're a great friend, Leo Valdez."

"Same goes, Annabeth Chase."

————

We entered third period. We switched topics and started exchanging opinions about architecture, technology, and structures. I saw Luke by my desk. I smiled and walked up to him.

"Hi Luke, this is Leo a friend." I motioned towards him.

"How's it going? I'm Luke," he said extending his hand.

"It's going. Leo Valdez from Heroes." Leo took his hand.

"So Annabeth, I was wondering if you would like to go to the winter dance with me?" Luke rubbed his neck.

"Luke, I'm sorry but I'm already going with someone else. I'm going with Percy Jackson..." It devastated me to turn him down.

"Oh- no problem. I understand." He gave me a small smile before going back to his seat.

For the rest of class Luke was quiet. I would smile but he would just look down. I bet he was disappointed and so was I. I gave my word to Percy, I couldn't back out. Leo kept texting me.

Leo
So what's up with him.

Me
Idk Piper thought he liked me and by the way, he's acting I think she was right.

Leo
Do you like him?

Me
I mean I don't know

————

After school, I met the girls at the front of the school we walked together to Piper's car. A black SUV pulled up next to us. The boys poked their heads out the window.

"We'll see you, girls, tomorrow." They all waved at us.

We just laughed and got the car. Seeing the SUV reminded me of the first time I saw Percy on my way home when I almost fell on my face. Percy the person I could care for less, the boy who I thought was a jerk turned out to be different. I never thought that we would end up here. I guess not all famous people are jerks, Still, it's not going to be that easy for him to sway me.

I got home and found my stepmom in the kitchen,

"By the way, the girls and I are going shopping after school tomorrow for the dance is that okay? I forgot about the dance."

"It's fine just buy something, pretty sweetie," said Helen

"Thanks. I have to do homework now."

"Ok, I'll bring you a snack. I'll call you when dinner is ready."