Chapter 39

I woke up abruptly with major stomach pains. I winced and gripped my stomach in agony as a sudden pain ripped through my abdomen. "Justin!" I gasp, hitting his shoulder to wake him. "What, Kitten?" he moans, rolling over to face me, his eyes still shut. "There is something wrong!" I hiss in pain. Justin jerks up from sleep, hearing my panicked tone. "What's wrong?!" He asks urgently, placing his hand on top of mine that was gripping my belly. "The babies! Something's not right." I said. I gasp as I felt something wet. Looking down, I see the sheets soaked in blood. My blood. "Justin!" I screech, tears brimming my eyes, grabbing his forearm in panic as he stares terrified at the blood.

Suddenly he jumps into action as I start to feel lightheaded. "Hang on, Kitten. I'm taking you to the hospital!" He lifts me bridal style and runs down the stairs, grabbing the keys, and running out the door. The last thing I feel before fading into darkness is Justin softly placing me in front seat and him screaming "Baby, stay awake! Please!"

_________________________________________________________

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

That's all I hear when I start to slowly awaken. I'm laying on a uncomfortable bed in an itchy gown that makes me want to scream. I feel a warm familiar hand grip mine and quiet sobs and sniffles follow. I slowly open my eyes and the first thing I see is a very bright light. "Ugh." I moan, squinting trying to shield my eyes. I gradually become used to it and open my eye wider, turning to the owner of the sobs. Justin sat in an uncomfortable looking chair. His face and eyes were red from crying and his body shook violently with cries as he looked down wiping his eyes with the back of my hand. "J-Justin?" I asked, my voice coming out raspy from my parched throat.

He looks up startled. 'K-Kitten?! You're awake!" he goes to hug me, his arms wrapping around my neck. I cleared my sore throat. "What happened?" He pulls back at my question, more inky black tears forming. "They're gone." he sobs. I stiffen and place my hand on my now flat stomach. I gasp in fear, tears rolling down my cheeks. A pang of pure terror and agony shoots through my chest as a ball appears in my throat, cutting off my breathing. "No... NO I DIDN'T LOSE OUR BABIES!" I scream in disbelief, angry at nobody but myself. "Yes. You're tiny body couldn't handle all of the stress and pressure." He tries to make me feel better, but I know he's breaking as well.

I sob into my hands as he wraps me tightly in hug. His body envelops me as he cries into my neck. A male doctor decides to make his appearance. He sighs in pity at the sad scene before him. Justin and I pull apart, giving our full attention to the doctor. "I'm so dreadfully sorry, Mrs. Rossi. We tried everything to save them." He shakes his head sadly as he speaks. "Well thank you for trying." I whisper, my voice hoarse from crying. "Since you are awake now, you may go home. Here are some grief counseling numbers. Feel free to call them any time to schedule an appointment. I'm so sorry for your losses." He bows his head and walks out.

"L-lets go home, baby girl." Justin whispers, helping me out of the hospital bed. I feel empty now that my two miracle have gone to Heaven. I feel like Justin is going to take this way harder than me though. He was so excited that he was going to be a father finally and treat them better than his dad ever treated him. The drive back home was silent excluding Justin's sobs that he tried to conceal. I was in shock and didn't know what to do.

When we got back to the house, Justin ran upstairs, leaving me to climb out of the car and climb the stairs myself. I slowly walk into the house as Romeo jumps at my feet. I settle myself down on the couch silently as pull Romeo into my lap, petting his soft fur. My mind was racing with a million thoughts per minute, but the only things that mattered was that my babies were gone.

I listen to Justin scream, throw things, and sob loudly upstairs for several hours. When it finally silences, I trudge upstairs to find him sleeping, curled up in the corner, sucking his thumb, and dried black tears on his face. The room was a mess. Lamps and vases broken. The mattress shoved off the bed. Feathers from shredded pillows still floated down from ceiling and spinning fan. I sigh, grabbing a large blanket, and curling up beside him on the floor. He instinctively snuggles himself into my side, burying his head in my neck and arms wrapping around my waist.

I fall asleep crying that night.