36- Percy Makes A Decision

Percy and Annabeth were sat on the blue sofa in his mother Sally’s apartment.

Percy hadn't told his mother why they were there, and Annabeth hadn't either. Percy didn't want to put this burden onto his mother’s shoulders.

There was a knock at the door and Percy was shaken out of his thoughts. He got to his feet and opened the door.

There stood Hazel Levesque and Hermione Granger. He had never been more happy to see either of them.

He pulled Hazel into a hug, “I'm so glad to see you!”

Hazel patted his back, “me too.”

Percy let her go and gestured for them to enter the apartment.

“We saw the camp.” Hermione said as she and Hazel sat down, “what happened?”

“Nyx attacked,” Annabeth said, “there was nothing that we could do.”

“I think that there is something that we can do.” Hermione pulled her time turner out of her pocket, holding it up for them to see.

“You still have it,” Annabeth grinned, “we can go back then, we can fix all of this.”

“Yes, but as far as I can see there must've been a turning point,” Hermione told them, “something that went against the prophecy, that lead to all of this.”

There was a prolonged silence as Percy and Annabeth thought through the battle.

Eventually Annabeth looked at Percy.

“Percy-,” she begun.

“No,” Percy shook his head, “no Annabeth, I know what your thinking.”

“What is she thinking?” Hazel looked from Percy to Annabeth and back again.

“There was a moment in the battle when Percy saved my from a hellhound,” Annabeth said, “it would've killed me, but he saved me. That was the moment.”

“One takes Chase,” Hazel muttered, “Annabeth, there has to be a different way!”

Percy’s head was filled with the visions he saw at the crossroads. Annabeth dieing, and then dieing again. He couldn't let that happen. He wouldn't let Annabeth die. He’d die before seeing her dead.

But his loyalty to the camp was also tugging at him. Annabeth’s life, for the life of all of his friends.

“Percy,” Annabeth looked at him imploringly, “it's the only way. My life for everyone’s. You know that it's the only way.”

“No Annabeth,” Percy felt as though he might cry, “I'd rather die.”

“You defied the prophecy,” Annabeth told him, “this was planned by the fates years ago.”

“No,” Percy shook his head again.

Annabeth looked at Hazel and Hermione, “what do you think?” She asked them.

Hazel looked back at her, “I don't like it,” she said, “but Annabeth is right, it's the only option we have right now.”

Hermione nodded, “it is.”

They all looked at Percy, and he thought of what Athena had told him years ago. It was something along the lines of , “one day your fatal flaw will either destroy the world or save it.” He couldn't remember it exactly, but it was something like that.

Percy knew that he had to save the camp. Even if it did cost Annabeth her life.

He met her eyes, “okay.”

Teeny tiny plot twist :)
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!!
~Em xx