Not Caring Is Harder Than It Seems...

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

Brittney

"Do what you want Dean, dwell in the past, on Bobby's death. I don't care! Just leave me out of it. I'm done trying to help you"

"I never asked for your help, Melissa! You're always putting your nose in other peoples business, no one wants your help!"

"Oh really? Cause last time I checked putting my nose in other people's businesse was my job and it was your job too until you let this whole Dick Roman thing get the best of you"

"I'm just trying to find the thing that wants us all dead and wants you as a trophy piece! It's like Lilith all over again"

I was able to see him throw his arms up into the air and pace a few feet away. "Maybe we shouldn't be spying on them. They really need some privacy..." Sam whispered in my ear.

We were in the other room and I was peeking in on them. "You really don't want to know what they're thinking or saying, Sammy?" I inquired, giving him a look.

He just stared at me for a moment. "Okay, move over" he said so I did and we both continued to watch them.

We saw them just staring each other down for a very long moment and I was wondering if they were done already....

"Look...I don't need help...I'm getting by aren't I?" he asked rhetorically.

"Yea. Barely" she rolled her eyes. "You, Sam and Brit...you guys are the most damaged people out there and I'm concerned"

"You're one to talk"

She removed her arms from across her chest and placed her hands on her hips as she glared at him. "Yea. I'm one to talk. I know. So if I'm saying you guys are damaged then that's saying something..." She paused. "Dean...I don't know what to do here..."

"There's nothing you can do, Melissa. You can't always fix everything. You can't always be the hero. Just let this go before you make things worse. Better yet, maybe you should let me go too. We're obviously not getting anywhere with this...whatever this is. So just stop caring and leave me alone"

And then he grabbed his coat and just walked out, leaving her standing there. I was appalled at what I had just heard Dean say to her. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it for myself. When I looked over at Mel, she looked literally frozen in her spot. I could see she wasn't blinking and I wasn't even sure if she was breathing.

That was three days ago. And they still haven't said one word to one another. They don't even look at each other. She had even gone out to steal someone's car (a ratty, old thing that no one would pay attention to) and change the license plates just so she didn't have to be in the same car as him. Things are really tense these days. And just when I thought we were getting somewhere....

Right now I was behind the wheel because it was my turn to drive so Mel could catch up on sleep...I kind of had to force her but she eventually went for it. We were heading toward a case in Seattle where apparently four men had their arms and legs cut off after they were thrown across their living rooms so hard that they left craters in their walls.

I noticed Mel started to get restless in her sleep and then she jolted slightly before sitting up with a gentle motion.

"Where are we?" she asked.