Taken For Granted Part 1

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

What has the world come to when the hunters become the hunted? When you have to watch every step you take...careful not to make noise. When your breath becomes shorter as your anticipation rises and even the moisture of your breath can give away your position. When your heart beat races because your body kicks into defense mode...but when you lose the battle...it slows...until it stops. What has the world come to...when people don't say what they mean? Or when they just hide...or fake...what they feel...that's worse than not saying what you mean. What has everything come down to when people take what they have for granted. When they take the moments they have for granted. To be with the ones they love...to have the chance to live life....What has the world come to...when you just don't feel safe anymore?

~~~~

We were now in Jersey because apparently Bobby and Sam had caught wind of a new case. But, at the moment we were just trying to work on getting some electricity flowing in the rundown shack we were staying in for the time being. I have to admit...our life style lately has really sucked. Dean, Brit and I were in the downstairs of this place and I was warming up my hands, rubbing them together inside the connective pocket of Dean's sweatshirt that I was wearing because I was freezing to say the least. I just leaned against the wall with Brit beside me and we were standing pretty close to use our body heat to keep warm. We watched Dean strip all the wires out of the control box and after a bit, Sam came down as well.

"You strip enough wires?" he asked. "Yea, I stripped enough wires" Dean replied with annoyance in his voice.

But, Sam ignored it as he put gloves on, grabbed a pair of jumper cables and hooked them both onto two ends of the stripped wires and the lights around the room came on.

"See? Told ya" Dean said, simply.

"Well, look at our men being so handy" I teased and smirked. Sam just smiled and Dean kind of sneered at me.

Then, Bobby came in through the door that was down here and set a duffle bag on the table in the center of the room. "Well isn't this cozy" Dean commented.

"Yea, well motel 6 just aint leaving a light on anymore" Sam said.

"I'm taking a page out of Frank Devereaux's bible for this one. When everybody's out to get ya, paranoia is just plain common sense" Bobby said.

"Weeks, guys. Weeks. We've been living with cold showers, cold hot pockets, friggin cold everything. This is the bottom that we're living in. You guys get that right?" Dean said and I just eyed him.

"How many big mouths are out there, tracing our cards, like Chet or...whoever knows what other ways" I said, hesitating when I almost God knows.

"She's right. This is not the best time to be laying our bed rolls out on the grid. Not if we can help it" Bobby added. But, then the lights went out.

"That's just great" Dean threw his hands up a little and slammed them down on his legs.

Then, he walked over to the couch as Sam sat down at the table. "This is stupid. Our quality of life is crap. We got Purgatory's least wanted everywhere and we're on our third The World's Screwed issue in what? Three years? We've steered the bus away from cliff twice already"

"Well someone has to" Brit murmured as she sat on Sam's lap and tried to almost merge into him so she could get warm.

"Maybe it wants to go over the cliff"

"Are you saying the world wants to end?" Sam asked.

"I think that if we didn't take its belt and all its pens away each year that, yeah, the whole enchilada would've offed itself already"