Finding Ourselves Part 1

We all grow up on a journey to find ourselves. As we get older, we gather piece by piece on who we all are...who we want to become. We have people help us along the way...they influence us to become the people who they think we should be...who they want us to be...but if we have our heads on right, we'll become who we're meant to be. Or...well...that's how it's supposed to happen. You're not supposed to be zapped by some angel into your dream world and find pieces of yourself with a chance of not waking up...that's what happened to me and Sam, though. Yea, you can assume that we made it out okay...but you shouldn't always assume that everything will be okay...because most likely that's when it ends badly. So, I guess you could say this is how I found out about what happened to Sam and I when we were soulless...when we were in Hell...while we were on our journey to find ourselves...our missing pieces.

~~~~~

I was racing down the sidewalk with the sound of sirens in the air and it was pitch black out. I rounded a corner and ran down an alley, up and over a fence, landing on my feet on the other side. I stopped in my tracks, looking back up at the eight foot high fence, incredulous by the fact that I was even able to do that. I heard the sirens getting close again and kept going. I snuck in a back door of a bar.

"Umm we're a closed" the voice of a bar tender said.

"I'm sorry, just...just give me a minute" I stammered as I ran to the window to see the cops drive right by.

"Look, Short Stuff, I really cant afford this kind of trouble in my bar, please just leave" he said.

I did a double take at him and the way he called me, Short Stuff made me look at him weirdly. I walked over to him and I saw he was decently cute...but I had to focus.

"Please, I just...I just need a second to think"

He analyzed me. "Okay...what's your name?"

"I...I don't know"

This time, he looked at me weirdly. "What do you mean?"

"I mean...I don't know. I don't remember" I told him.

He introduced himself as Shane and got out two beers for us as I sat down on a stool and we started drinking together. "Come on, you're messing with me...you don't remember anything?"

"I'm telling you my mind's blank. Clean slate"

"No wallet ID?"

"I wish"

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"Cops shining a flashlight in my face while I was laying on a bench. They were trying to take me in"

"So you ran?" he smiled a little, kind of amused.

"No...I knocked them out cold. Both of them. I didn't mean to, it was just all happening really fast and you know, instinct or something, I guess"

"Some instinct"

"Yea, tell me about it...it felt like I just knew what I was doing...like someone taught me how to do it maybe...who even knows how to do something like that?"

"I gotta say, it's kind of hot" he chuckled. I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "No, but seriously, you really need a doctor" he said with a sincere tone.

"I don't have time" I sighed as I stood up and paced a little.

"Don't have time for what?"

"Look, it's kind of hard to explain but I just feel like I need to be somewhere...like there's something I have to stop..."