The Man Who Should Be King Part 1

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Cas' POV

You know, I've been here for a very long time. I remember many things. I remember being at a shoreline, watching a little grey fish heave itself up on the beach. And an older brother saying, "Don't step on that fish Castiel, big plans for that fish. I remember the Tower of Babel...all 37 feet of it, which I suppose was impressive at the time. And when it fell they howled, "Divine Wrath!" But come on, dried dung can only be stacked so high. I remember Cane and Able...David and Goliath...Sadam and Gamorah. And, of course, I remember the most remarkable event. It's remarkable because it never came to pass. Averted by two boys, two girls, an old drunk and a fallen angel. The grand story. And we ripped up ending...the rules...and destiny. Leaving nothing but freedom and choice. Which is all well and good except...well, what if I made the wrong choice and how am I supposed to know.... I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story. Let me tell you everything.

~~

I could see Dean and Melissa driving together in Dean's car, separated from Brittney and Sam, so I made myself appear to them in the back seat. I startled them both, but Dean kept his composure so he wouldn't swerve into on coming traffic and he banged his hand on the steering wheel as he quickly glanced back at me while Melissa turned her whole body around in the seat to give me her complete attention. She really knew how to make someone feel like she was an excellent listener...but, she could get a job somewhere as a professional liar, I don't even know sometimes with her. But, when I look in her eyes, I see it's real...and it made me feel worse about what I was doing...and what I was keeping from them.

"Hello, Dean, Melissa. Are you both alright?" I asked.

"Yea, we're fine..." she answered, glancing at Dean and he glanced back at her.

I saw some kind of connected between them. I don't think I ever understood what they had...maybe I never will...but I know they care about each other like no one else ever will. Melissa will never find someone who can protect her like Dean can...and Dean will never find someone who can show that she can care for and love him like she can and still keep up with hunting. I suppose it was special...maybe if the two of them were a normal, religious couple, they would call their love a gift from God.

She looked back at me with gentle eyes...and I could see why Dean is different when he's with her. Just the look she gives him makes you feel different about yourself...she cared so much...and it made me feel calmer...safer...like nothing will go wrong....

"How are you?" she asked me.

"Just wanted to check in"

"Any word on Satan jr. being alive?" Dean asked, referring to Crowley.

I tried not to make my shift in my seat look too noticeable. "I'm looking, believe me. I just don't understand how Crowley could've tricked me" I tried to sound convincing.

"He's a tricky son of a bitch, that's how" Dean said.

Melissa eyed me for a quick second before adding, "It doesn't matter. But if he is up and kicking then what does matter is finding him, ripping his head off and shoving it up his ass"

I nodded. "What bout you? Have you found anything?"

"No nothing yet" Dean answered.

"Where's Sam and Brittney?"

"Keeping busy, tracking a gjin in Omaha as we speak. We're heading up there now to meet up with them" she told me.

"I'd come if I could..."