What Are We Doing? Part 2

Our next stop was the house. I was so glad I was here with Dean because I got to see Eliot Ness kick down a door and we all walked in with our guns drawn together. Pretty amazing stuff. We had found a little book where Chronos was keeping outcomes of horse race results. He already knew what was going to happen. There was a pair of initials in the book: L.Y.. Eliot said they stood for Lester Young so that's who we picked up next.

Dean threw him down into the chair at the interview room in the police station. "Hey! Whoa! Hey! Hey! Easy with the jacket! Yeah, I ain't talking. I'm no stoolie"

Then Dean punched him in the face and it was so hard he flew backward in the chair and onto the floor. Eliot just stared at Dean and he shrugged back at him.

"I learned it from watching you" he explained.

Then he just picked him back up and set him back in the chair. "Look, you seem like a swell guy, Lester" Eliot started.

Dean took off his jacket and held it out to me like I was meant to take it. I gave him a look and raised my eyebrows. He just nodded his head toward Lester and gave me a look back as if saying play the part. Oh he was so going to get it later.

I just gave him a smug look and snatched the jacket from his hand and I sauntered over to the coat rack to hang it, swinging my hips a little. I felt his eyes on me and I smirked, looking at him from the corner of my eye. But my attention went back to Eliot.

"And I want to help you out. I do, but my partner here? He just back from the war. And he's spent the last two years kicking in Nazi skulls. If he doesn't kick in a skull every couple days, he gets real touchy" he explained and that's when Dean's attention went back to him too.

"Lester. That a German name?" he grunted and I just continued to smirk, trying to contain my snickers.

"Hey, okay, okay. There's no need to snap your cap. Who you looking for?"

"Fella by the name of Snider" Eliot said.

"What, that guy? I mean, bum never missed a bet, but he gave me the heebie-jeebies, so I cut him off"

"Where would you meet him for the payoff?"

Lester was hesitating...but then Dean stepped toward him and raised an arm. "The Early Bird! It's a dive on Haggerty. Practically lives in the joint" he said quickly. Dean looked back at both of us and shrugged slightly.

We were now parked outside a diner, staking out. "That's him" I pointed out the guy in the hat that got us here.

I wasn't sure if I hated him or if I loved him at this point. I mean, he was killing people, yea. But he got me to meet Eliot Ness!

"Kind of puny for a God" he said and took a drink from the flask.

Then he held it out to Dean who was sitting in the passenger seat. I eyed him...waiting for him to take it...but he didn't.

"I thought you were Mr. Boy Scout" I said to him

"Why do you think I went after Capone in the first place? The guy had the best hooch in Chicago" he replied and put the flask back but then just took it back out again.

"So, now, who died in your life and made you a hunter?" Dean asked.

"Who died? Nobody died, you morbid son of a bitch. I started doing this 'cause vampires were turning folks in Cleveland"

"And you got the bug"

"That's when I got the bug" he said, taking another sip. "Sometimes you just want to punch through the red tape with a silver bullet. Yeah, hunting sets me free. Isn't that why you hunt?"