Treat You Better

A/N

This is "Treat You Better" by Shawn Mendes. This is in Leo's P.O.V. Enjoy!

  I won't lie to you
I know he's just not right for you
And you can tell me if I'm off
But I see it on your face
When you say that he's the one that you want
And you're spending all your time
In this wrong situation
And anytime you want it to stop  

I've been best friends with y/n for as long as I can remember. And I care a lot for her. 

I care so much for her that I've had a crush on her for about 3 years, now. But she was in a relationship. Me being her best friend, I had to respect that. But the boy she was dating didn't really seem right.

He didn't really treat her like she should have been treated.

I told her that before, but she just said that he wasn't like that. She said that he was the one she wanted.

But I could tell that she was lying.

I wanted her to go with someone who would treat her right, but I didn't think she would leave him.

  I know I can treat you better
Than he can
And any girl like you deserves a gentleman
Tell me why are we wasting time
On all your wasted crime
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than he can

I knew that the guy I wanted her to end up with was me.

I knew that that sounded selfish, but I knew that I could treat her the way she needed to be treated. I mean, any girl like y/n deserved someone who would be a gentleman.

And I would gladly do that.

I know she belonged with me, not that guy she was dating. I knew that I could treat her better than he could.

  I'll stop time for you
The second you say you'd like me too
I just wanna give you the loving that you're missing
Baby, just to wake up with you
Would be everything I need and this could be so different
Tell me what you want to do

But she stayed with him.

I mean, we still hung out everyday, just not as much. She would leave me and go hang out with her boyfriend.

I was just hoping that she would dump him and tell me that she returned my feelings. I would stop time, I would just freeze everything at that perfect moment.

But I knew she wouldn't do that.

I watched her and her boyfriend hang out, and he didn't really show affection for her.

That pissed me off. I just wanted y/n to date someone who truly loved her, which was me. That's all I would do, just show her that I love her.

  Cause I know I can treat you better
Than he can
And any girl like you deserves a gentleman
Tell me why are we wasting time
And all on your wasted crime
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than he can  

Sometimes, she just annoyed me.

I would tell her that her boyfriend wasn't right for her, and she'd just get teary eyed and tell me that he was perfect. But I knew she was lying.

It broke my heart, seeing her cry because of me.

But I had a feeling that the guy would make her cry soon. I just wanted her to be in a safe relationship filled with love.

I just wanted her to be with me. I would treat her better than that guy ever would. I just struggled with hiding my true feelings for her whenever we hung out.

  Better than he can  

Sure, y/n would be all smiles with him. But I knew that the guy didn't care. He just wanted someone as beautiful as y/n to date him, so that other girls would take interest.

I knew that he was just using her.

And I hated that. I could tell that her smiles were forced. But she was just to nice to dump him. It broke my heart seeing y/n in a relationship like that.

I just wanted her to come to me, and realize that the guy wasn't for her.

I would treat her better.

  Give me a sign
Take my hand, we'll be fine
Promise I won't let you down
Just know that you don't
Have to do this alone
Promise I'll never let you down  

One day, the guy really pissed me off.

One day, they went off somewhere behind the school, and I was getting a bad feeling. I reached the back and saw a horrible sight.

I saw the guy trying to rape y/n.

She was struggling, but the guy was to strong. I knew that he was just using her, but I didn't know that he would take that approach.

So, I let all of my anger out.

I walked over to the guy and punched him, kicked him, twisted him, did everything I could to make sure he wouldn't hurt y/n again.

After I had thrown his useless body into the nearby dumpster, I went over to y/n.

She was crying.

  Cause I know I can treat you better
Than he can
And any girl like you deserves a gentleman
Tell me why are we wasting time
And all on your wasted crime
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than he can  

I hugged her close to my body, and she cried into my shoulder.

I heard her muffled "I'm so sorry" and "You were right" apologies. I hated seeing her hurt and crying, so I just hugged her close and soothed her.

I just mumbled stuff like, "It's not your fault. He's just a dumb ass."

And at that moment, y/n recognized that she apparently had feelings for me the whole time. She continued crying, saying that I was right and that she was stupid.

I wanted her to shut up and stop calling herself stupid.

So, I did what I could to make her quiet.

  Better than he can
Better than he can  

I leaned in and kissed her.

For a moment, it felt wrong since she was just almost raped by her boyfriend. But y/n made it feel right.

She had wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled my closer.

She had stopped crying, which made me feel relieved. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled you closer, as well.

The thoughts that ran through my head were telling me that I was going to be the one.

I was going to be the one who treated her right. And I could tell that y/n really did love me back. Because she put all of that hidden love into that one single kiss.

I returned all of that love back.