74

OK SO BEFORE I CONTINUE I NEED TO ASK YOU GUYS TO DO A FAVOR.

SO WHEN I LOOK UP THE TAG "EVERTHORNE" IN THE SEARCH BAR, MY BOOK DOESNT COME UP, AND IT ALSO DOESNT SHOW UP WHEN I TYPE THE ACTUAL TITLE OF IT. WOULD YOU GUYS MIND JUST SEARCHING "EVERTHORNE" AND "EVERTHORNE RUN" TO SEE IF
IT COMES UP FOR YOU? IF SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH SORRY.

Katniss pov.

I fell asleep actually fairly easily last night. It's Gale who didn't this time. He usually doesn't get nightmares. Or...maybe he does but just doesn't wake me..

It's around six am when I awake. That's usually the time we both get up. Since it's the winter, the sun won't really rise until 8, but it also looks stormy out, so it should stay relatively dark. Good. Because Gale didn't get a blink of sleep until around five thirty when he finally shut his eyes. He spent the whole night worrying about me. I don't deserve him. He's to good. To kind. To caring, I think with a little smile. I go to close the curtains a little tighter. It's still dark out.
I get back in my bed, lie on my side, and look at Gale, who's fast asleep. I'm careful not to make any sudden movements that could wake him or provoke a nightmare. I look at his thick eyebrows and soft pink lips and worried crease in his forehead. His soft brown hair falls in a curtain just above his eyes. His breaths are steady as his chest rises and falls. Rises and falls. I can hear his heart beat as I press my head against his chest. The familiar feel of him, the familiar scent, makes me feel comfortable and safe.

One of the first days we relized that we loved eachother happened a while ago. We were at the hob, sitting at the counter. We had just gotten back from hunting, and we're eating a bowl of greasy saes wild dog and onion soup. Darius, the young snarky, yes hilarious peacekeeper walked over to me.
"I'll give you a button for a smooch." He cooed at me. I giggled and told him to get lost, but blew him a sarcastic kiss. I caught a glimpse of gales face. Pure jealously. Woah, I thought. I had never seen that before. I caught his eye, and raised my eyebrow, as if to ask what was wrong.
"Later." He mumbled.
We walked home. He had his head down and was kicking the snow in our path too forcefully to be normal.
" Gale what is the matter with you?" Said a newly sixteen year old me.

"No nothing." He said flatly.
"It was Darius wasn't it. You didn't like what he did." I answered at him.

He slowed down. His cheeks burned a deep red. Maybe he was cold. But I doubted that.
"Gale, were you jealous?" I asked with a giggle.

"What? I...well...." He stumbled over his words.
"Oh my-" I started
"good hunting partners are hard to come by." He answered. In that moment, I felt my face fall the slightest bit. Of course he notices this.

"What." He says studying me.
"No nothing." I say. I realize I repeated exactly what he said.

"Oh come on you actually think I've ever had a friend in my life?" He asks with a snort. He knows that I'm upset because he implied that all I am is a hunting partner.
I remeber after that, a bunch of things other people told me flooded into my head.

"You see Gale, the thing is that people have told me about all the girls you kissed and all the people you've taken to our woods and-"
"What are you even saying?" He asks.
"Your literally the only girl I've ever really made eye contact with, much less talked to. I'm kind of a wimp around girls sometimes." He says with a laugh.

I can't hold back a flood of giggles from my throat as we walk home hand in hand.

Yes,
I remember that day. That day was part of a time when things were a whole lot simpler.

Gales eyes crack open a bit. I smile.

"Hey catnip."