31

Katniss pov
That night, I sleep extra close to Gale. I'm scared, to be completely honest. Dead scared. The Capitol could literally be looking for us right now, and I can't do anything about it. I can't protect my family. I can't protect Gale. What if prim dies. What if Gale dies? I shiver at this thought. I would probebly go blank like my mother.

Just that thought of loosing almost makes me cry. I look up from his chest and kiss him lips lightly so that I don't wake him. Who knows if it will be our last kiss.

Gale eventually wakes up, long after I do that morning.

"Katniss?" He asks cautiously.
"I'm ok. I'm just worried about us. About all of us. If someone gets hurt, it's all my fault."

"Katniss, you were trying to survive. It wasn't your fault that you were angry at the Capitol. It wasn't your fault because you were just trying to stay alive." Gale says.

"But I can't help thinking that if somethings happends to you or prim, I'm defiantly gonna feel like it's my fault. It will be my fault."
I say.

"If anyone so much as looks at prim the wrong way, they'll have a big problem on their hands." He says with a chuckle. Leave it to Gale to lighten the mood, I say as I giggle with him.
He gives me a small kiss before we start to walk over to the campfire. We sit around it like normal. We tell stories and posy  dances around and we all eat our fills. It almost seems perfect. Until I remember the impending doom I'm feeling at the moment for my family. Gale is naturally the only one who can sense it, because as soon as we walk out of earshot, he says

"Catnip what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong Gale I'm ok." I say.

"Katniss Everdeen you are the single worst liar I have ever met." He says with a smile. But his face becomes serious after a few seconds. I'm looking at the brown dirt caked on the soles of my old hunting boots.
He lifts my chin gently. "Katniss..." He says. I lean my check on his hand for a second before telling him this...
"I just feel like at any given moment a hovercraft is gonna come down and capture us all, and we'll all be avoxes or just killed..."
I say.

"Katniss, don't go jumping off that tree. Don't go anywhere near that tree..."

How could he possibly have read my mind that clearly. He gets his answer that yes, I was thinking about the tree, after I don't answer, and stare at the ground some more.

"Katniss please! Katniss?? Katniss!" He says. I can tell he's crying now. I don't deserve him.

I finally look up. "Gale, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I love you. I don't want to hurt you, and I also don't want to watch you die. I mean, besides prim, your really the only person I love, and I care about you too much too jump..." I say. Man I am a bad liar.

He just looks at me sadly. "Katniss, you will never have any idea how much I love you. I would rather jump off that tree than let you even think of climbing it." He says.

I don't deserve him. After all I've put him through??

"I don't deserve you..." I say. Echoing my thoughts.

As if answering my statement, he leans in and kisses me. I smell that familiar smell of oranges.

We slowly pull apart, our foreheads still touching.

"If anything, I don't deserve you." He says.

"But we love eachother, so we deserve eachother. And catnip, I'm willing to walk through hell and back just to make sure your ok. Because I love you." He says.
It's my turn to lean in and kiss him.

After we break apart for the second time, I say I'm sorry, and I love you again. We walk hand in hand back to our little camp site. We've moved quite a lot in the past couple weeks, so it's nice to know we'll be staying in one place for a while.

That night, Gale holds me extra tight. And I love it. I bury my head in his Cotten shirt, and his fleece sweatshirt. It smells like home. Of coal dust and fire and wet gravel. It's the most comforting thing in the world. And I can't imagine this moment with anyone else but him.