Part 6

Katniss pov

We hunted for a while without speaking. Finally I decided to say something. "We have to think of ways to preserve food and stay warm. And we need to make a better warmer bed. And maybe make a temporary shelter." I blurted out. "I agree" says Gale. I look into his eyes to see a whole lot of worry. I looked at him with question. "I just don't know how we can pull all of this off. I mean, our mothers and siblings are useful to the cause once the two of us have a plan. But until then they have no idea what they are doing." Gale said. I thought about this. "What if.. What if someone gets sick? What if prim... What if I have to watch her die?" I whisperd. "What if our mothers get bit by a wild dog?" I say, my voice shaking a little. Gale put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close. I buried my face into his shoulder. "You won't have to watch prim die. Your mother can make medicine from just about anything out here." Gale said. "Your right" I said a little more brightly. "Your right" I said a little lower, because I was trying to convince myself. "We have eachother, remeber catnip?" Gale said with a smile  I smiled back. It was a big smile. One that reached my eyes. "You know, I do love it when you smile." Gale says as we walk back to camp. I punch him playfully. "It's true!" He says with a laugh. He always seems to know just how to make me feel better.

We walk back to camp, gales arm still around my shoulder. We sit on a boulder to clean the game. My head droops onto his shoulder as I skin a rabbit. I feel him smiling. I smile to.

We bring the game to the campfire where everyone is busily at work. "Can we help?" I say. "No dears I think we have it covered" says mrs. Hawthorne.

Gale and I decide to climb the huge oak tree by the creek we hunt by on our four day hunting exersions. I climb up. Gale climbs up after me. We sit side by side on the tree, just looking into the sunset. Would they come looking for us? Would they kill prim? Would they kill Gale? "They aren't gonna kill us" Gale says, reading my mind. I look into his big grey eyes. Behind them I see worry, like this morning. I feel his arm around me from behind. I press our foreheads to together. "We can do this" I say. "We will do this" he says. For a minute we sit together like this, with our foreheads together. I slowly life my head up and offer a little smile. He smiles back. He leans in and kisses my forhead as I lay my head down on his shoulder. I take in everything. How Gale smells of pine and oranges. The red and pink of the fading sunset, never wanting to forget the night in the oak tree. The night in the oak tree with Gale.