49

Katniss mother pov

Katniss was screaming. I ran into her room and flipped on the lights hastily.

She was crying and lying on the bed with her hands around her stomach in pain.

"Katniss!! Katniss what's wrong!!" Gale pleads through tears.

"It hurts! I can't move!!"
She cries out.

"Katniss we have to get you to the couch so I can look at you better and give you treatment."
I say nervously.

Gale picks her up and carries her quickly to the couch and sets her down.

She's passed out.

"Katniss! Ok Gale I need you to help me!" I say.

I get to work on putting an oxygen mask on her face. Then I feel around her stomach.

Everything seems normal.

I wonder what's causing this.

She wakes up and screams out.

Gale is crying.

I decide to just deliver the baby. She was due in less than a week anyway, so I'm hoping that doing so will solve the problem.

But I don't know about how the baby will turn out.

Katniss slips in and out of consciousness as I deliver the baby.

"Gale..." She mumbles.

"I'm right here I'm right here." He says through tears.

She falls back out of conciousness.

And out comes baby posy.

Still as a stone.

I put a mask over baby posy's tiny head. She takes only labored breaths.

But it's better than no breath at all.

But Katniss has stopped breathing.

I put a tube down her throat and fix an oxygen tube  around her nose.

Still no breath.

The baby coughs and struggles. I realize that I will only be able to save one of them.

I know that I don't have much time to work with her.

Every second counts.

I try every single thing that I can think of.

Still not luck.

Her throat opens a bit.

She gasps and sits up.
"Katniss!" Gale says. He's hardly holding it together. She was almost dead. She could still almost be dead.

She takes a few hyperventilated breaths and faints again.

I still her with a needle and she stops breathing so heavy and thrashing around.

Her eyes slowly open.
"..posy..." She mumbles. I wrap up little baby posy in prims baby blanket and gently give her to Katniss. I don't take out Katniss's tubes yet. I can't be sure.

She sits up, and takes the baby into her arms. It coughs and chokes and struggles to breath.

We all know what's going to happen. There's nothing I can do. Little posy will die.

I try to put a mask around her face. She still can't breath. Little posy hangs on to the last breath of live.

I try one last thing.

I carefully cut a tiny line in posy's throat and put a tube inside.

And miraculously

She takes a deep breath.

And another

And another.

Soon, little posy is breathing.

Katniss starts to cry. Hard. Gale wraps his arms around her. Katniss puts her head next to the babies head. She still has wires and tubes sticking from her.

"Is she alright?" Gale asks.

"The baby should be ok. But Katniss, I still don't know what happened to you. Why you were in so much pain."

"I don't care about me. As long as she's ok than I'm ok." Katniss says.

Posy looks exactly like them. With Katniss's brown hair and gales eyes. She has their olive skin, and small freckles. A tiny baby. Very underweight. But still somewhat healthy.

"She's ours. She's our posy." Katniss whispers.

Gale bursts into tears. It's the first time I've seen him really cry.

Katniss hands him posy. He looks into her tiny face.

"She looks just like you catnip. She's beautiful." He whispers.

And she was. She looked like her. She looked like him.

But I knew Katniss was in for a long road to recovery. She could have been experiencing the pain from labor, or from a normal pregnancy. I'm not sure. But time will tell, and for now, I just have to let her be. I have to let Gale not worry. Because they're parents. Katniss is a mother. And Gale is a father. And they are a family now.