61

Gale pov

She is fast asleep on my shoulder. Her soft long brown hair tickles my neck.

I think of how different my life would be if I hadn't met her.

How alone I'd be.

How sad.

She is the only person I truly can trust with everything and anything. I love her so much. I hope that I can protect her from anything that tries to harm her. But I know that I can't, and it scares me to death. I couldn't bear it if she got hurt...or worse...

My fingers tangle through her hair as I plant a soft kiss on the top of her head. Maybe we can make it in our broken little world together.

I think of the saying that my father once told me before he died...

"Keep a green tree in your heart, and one day, a songbird will come."

Katniss is my songbird. My Mockingjay. She is my salvation. My world. My everything. Without her I would be nothing.

Katniss wakes. She looks up at me and smiles. It's the fist time since the baby died. It lights something in me. That feeling that you get when you want to laugh and cry and kiss and hug and hold and console the one person who makes your life worth living. In that moment, I felt something. We felt something. I could see it in her eyes. In that moment, everything was alright. In that moment, I swear we were infinite.