68

Katniss mother pov

I woke up and herd laughing. No. It couldn't be. Was she actually laughing? Was it possible?

Yet, when I walked into the kitchen, I discovered that yes, it was possible. Katniss was laughing. It was the most uplifting beautiful laughter I have ever herd. Gales eyes gleamed with love and happiness that she was doing better as they fruitlessly attempted to concoct breakfast. Katniss was laughing at a bit of flower on gales nose.

Prim walks in a moment later and just stares at her sister in shock. I'm not sure that she's ever seen Katniss laugh. A smile spreads across her face as she joins in the fun. The three of them run around the kitchen blowing powder at one another. Prim resorts to hiding under the table giggling, while Gale picks Katniss up over his shoulder and tickles her. She laughs and squirms uncontrollably. Prim is hysterical. I think it might have been the best day of my life.

They smile really never left Katniss that day. She let out a couple more giggles. She laughed at things she wouldn't normally laugh at. I wondered why.

After dinner, Katniss went into the bathroom. When she can out, I saw a flash of a pained expression on her face. Her eyes a bit puffy. But as soon as she rounded the corner to come back into the kitchen, she plastered on that smile. Gale knew something was up. That smile didn't look so real anymore. It looked like it pained her to keep it on.

Gale led Katniss out the door. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but Katniss's happy carefree expression broke at the seams.

And she ran for the woods.

Gale was running screaming after her.

But she kept running.....