50

Katniss pov

This is Katniss's remembering something that happened to her while she looks at her little baby

I remember all the times Gale and I had together. I remember everything we went through. I remember the time I had the worst nightmare I can remember. But that was before Gale and I were in love.

I just woke up to a nightmare. I was running through the woods. I was being chased. But no one was there to comfort me. And I only really wanted one person.

My mother comes in my room a little while later. She's carrying something in her hand. It looks like a little picture book.
"Katniss I herd you screaming. I thought you might want to look at this." She says. She sits down next to me in my old cotton bed, and we open up the first page of the little book. The first picture is of me and prim. We are walking side by side. The second picture is of me and Gale. Gale is giving me a piggyback ride. We must only be 12 and 14 years old. We look so happy almost, carefree. Looking at that picture, you never be able to tell that we had to sustain our entire family's.
A smile spreads across my face as I look at the picture.
The next couple pictures are of my mother and prim.
I come across another picture of Gale and I, walking towards the hob. This one must have been taken recently. His arm is over my shoulder, and we look very cold, and very determined. I can see a hint of mischief and laughter on both of our faces.
"I love this picture." My mother tells me. "You both have this glint in your eye."
I smile and run my hand over the picture. My smile fades a little as I remember how complicated my life is now.
"Katniss, Gale loves you so much." My mother tells me.
"I know....and I think I love him too." I say.
My mother smiles. We keep looking at the little photo book. I come across six other pictures of me and Gale. One of us when we were much younger, playing outside together, one recent one of us sitting on the steps of my old house, with my head on his shoulder, a picture of us walking, but gale is looking at me instead of straight ahead. I love the way he's looking at me in that picture.
The last photo is of us in the square, right before the reaping of my games. Our foreheads are pressed together, and both of our eyes are closed. We both have a sad expression on our faces.
I remember the moment in the picture. We stopped before separating into our separate lines and said goodbye, just in case. He gave me a hug,
And then we put our foreheads together and told eachother it was gonna be alright. I guess it really wasn't.

A tear rolls down my check as I look at this last one. My mother wraps her arm around my shoulders.

"You know he came here with hazelle every night to help us, and he wouldn't take his eyes off you on the tv. Towards the end, he wouldn't eat. And when you finally won, he probebly cried for two days. He loves you so much Katniss."

So the next day, when Gale knocks on my door to go hunting, instead of giving him a small hug like usual, I wrap my arms around him in a warm embrace. He doesn't hesitate to hug me back.

We hunt, and we talk, and he tells me how scared he was for me during the games, and we end up curled up together on the soft medow floor, gazing at the cloudy sky.

Laying on the couch now, with little posy in my arms, I remember that day. Because that was the day that I fell in love with him. The day it all began