45

Katniss mother pov

Katniss and Gale sit on the floor against the couch, unmoving, and lifeless. they seem to be staring into the distance at something that doesn't exist.

"Are you alright?" I ask them.

Katniss shakes her head, and Gale says nothing. They look tired and restless at the same time.

They were doing fine a couple of days ago, prim even commented on that.

"I just keep hearing her little voice in my head, and I can't make it go away." Gale says numbly.

A tear rolls down Katniss's cheek.

"you both look extremely tired. Do you think you can sleep?"

They both shrug at the same time, but I can see their eyelids growing heavier.
"Do you want some blankets?" I ask them.

They nod sadly.

They had been sitting in that same spot since yesterday. They hadn't gotten up since yesterday.

I bring them the blankets and tell them that I'm going to the store.

They are just falling asleep as I leave.

___________________________________

I come back, and Katniss is sleeping, but Gale isn't. He's sitting next to her on the floor with her head in his lap, distracting himself by playing with her tangled hair.
I decide to leave him alone.

He falls asleep a little while later.

A couple hours pass, and they sleep peacefully.

Katniss wakes about a half hour before Gale does. She doesn't move, she just looks up at him. When Gale wakes, they don't look away for a long time, they just stare into eachothers eyes.
And at the exact same time, they both whisper

"What are we gonna do?"
What will we do? What if they both tune out like I did.

No.

No.

Katniss and Gale were too strong for that.
They would fine a way....

.

I hope...