55

Katniss pov

I knock on Haymitch's door. I wait for a minute.

No answer.

I slowly push the door open.

He's asleep on his couch, clutching something.

As I walk towards him, I notice a little picture of me on his wall.

And another one

And another one.

There were pictures of me on his table too. Ones of me laughing. Ones of me in my dresses.

Oh no.
He thought I was dead.

I walked over and sat in front of him where he was asleep on the couch.

How was I going to wake him.

I just decided to shake him gently.

He slowly opened his eyes.

His cheeks turned pale.

He surprisingly didn't smell like alcohol at all. He smelled almost...good.

"Kat....kat...Katniss??" He said in disbelief.

"Haymitch. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry you thought I was dead."

I saw what he was clutching in his hand.

It was another picture of me with him at home.

"Katniss..." And then he started to cry. He sobbed and sobbed.

I started to cry too.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry." I whispered.

He stood up and hugged me as tight as he could. I didn't hesitate to hug him back.

"Katniss I thought you were dead I thought you were dead I thought you were gone." He says

"I'm sorry I'm sorry. I don't know why I didn't tell you where I was going."

"I don't care Katniss I don't care all I need to know is that you're safe. Do you have food? Katniss?"

"Yes." I simply say.

All these years of looking at him as an alcoholic mess, and he really truly cares about me.

"Katniss the day they said you died I printed out all these pictures because I didn't want to ever forget you. Or forget every detail about you. It was unnecessary though, because I thought about you every day. I thought that there must have been something I could have done. Effie told me that it wasn't my fault. I didn't believe her."
I hugged him again.

"Where is Effie?" I whispered

"Upstairs." Haymitch relpied.

"Upstairs?" I asked.

"Yeah. After everything that the Capitol did she didn't want to be anywhere near them. And I've come to actually really enjoy her company but don't tell her that..."

"I heard that." I hear Effie squeak from the stairs.

"EFFIE?!" I say

This woman was definitely NOT Effie. Or maybe she was. She was Effie. But she had log auburn hair, green eyes, and no makeup on.

"Effie...you look...beautiful!!" I exclaimed.

"Well sweetie I really wanted to have nothing to do with them anymore."

She still had her shrill little voice and accent. I hope that never changed.

I noticed that haymitch couldn't tear his eyes away from her. Wait. Did he love her?

I pushed the thought from my head.

No way.

Haymitch always went against EVERYTHING Effie said. He never followed the rules, and he most certainly did not care if a table was made out of mahogany.

But this glint in his eye...

After a log conversation with them, it was finally time for me to leave.

I gave Effie a hug first.

Then haymitch.

"Katniss you're like the daughter I never had. Never forget that." He said. I smiled and cried at the same time.

"Thanks dad." I whispered as I walked out the door.

OHH HAYFFIE ITS COMING WHOOP