Part 15

Katniss's mother pov

A few days pass as we walk a little farther. Camp out. Walk some more. Prim and the rest of the kids explored the woods as we walked.
It was the third day of walking. Katniss and Gale leading the way. "Wait I stashed blankets and knives and sheets in some of the trees around here" Gale said. "When? This is farther than we've ever gone" Katniss said. " when you were... Away, I just kept walking and walking and I decided to keep things here and there in parts of the woods we had never gone in case we had to make a run for it." Gale said. He had a look on his face like it was paining him to talks about it. "Genius.." Katniss said with a smile. But I could tell she was trying to cheer up Gale a little. Their expressions matched eachother. Sad. Katniss grabbed gales hand and held it tight. They both finally smiled.

We walked along. We didn't need to hunt because if we had anymore food, we wouldn't be able to eat it and it would surely spoil. We followed Katniss and Gale for an hour more or so  finally we came to a stop. "It's gonna get dark soon. Let's set up camp here, we can build a permentant shelter tomorrow." Katniss says. Gale pulls blankets and sheets and knives out of the trees around us. He gives a knife to Katniss and Rory.
We all sleep soundly that night. We were somewhat warm from the blankets, we ate well from the turkeys. Prim was cozied up in my arms. Rory posy Vick and hazel were all wrapped up together. And Katniss was curled up in gales arms. A perfect night. I watched my two daughters for a little while. How different they were. Katniss was brave and strong. Prim was shy and smart.  but my eyes stray on Katniss, who is most certainly sound asleep in gales arms. Most people who come back from the hunger games as a victor are scared to much that they can barley function without alcohol, or they are additcted to drugs. Not my daughter. She cd back and immediately began providing for us again. I have no idea how she does it. How the memories don't haunt her every second. How she always puts on a brave face for prims and mines sake. Sometimes, even just on the course of this trip she gets a distant look on her face for a split second. But Gale is always there to hold her hand or wrap his arm around her shoulder. At any touch from him, color flows back into her face. Relief to.