64

Katniss pov

It was the first night I really slept, but it might have been because of my tears, and how done I was with life. It all happened after we walked back home from the meadow. When I walked into my kitchen, everything that had happened in the past years hit me like a bullet in my skull. My fathers death. My hunger games. Prims reaping. The death of all those kids. The death of my child, and of gales sister. I couldn't handle this much longer.

My head started to spin. I sat down right in the middle of the kitchen and put my face in my palms and cried harder than I've ever cried. It came out of nowhere.

But Gale was there.

He quickly sat down and pulled me into his strong arms. He rocked me back and forth and kissed my hair. He didn't even have to ask me what was wrong. He knew. He knew that it was everything.

I balled up my fists and squeezed them as I cried. I lay them on gales chest and cried onto him. He stroked my hair, and told me that he was here for me forever.
But I didn't know how much longer I would be here. How much longer I could take this.

My sobs got quieter but didn't stop. I faintly remember hearing my mother walk into the kitchen out of breath. She asked what happened. I mean, I would have too if I saw my daughter and son in law crying on the floor of the kitchen. We must have looked pretty distraught. My head was barley visable and I knew I was shaking. Gales face was buried in my hair.
My mother asked again what had happened. We both replied at the same time
"Everything."

And at that moment, I heard gales voice crack. That was it. I lost it.
He doesn't deserve to cry. It's my fault. Not his.

I lept out of his arms and ran to our living room. I slammed my head as hard as I could on the wall. Stars exploded in front of my eyes. I ran into the wall again. And again. I heard Gale running towards me. He was crying harder now.
"Katniss! Katniss no!"
I ran as hard as I could straight into the wall. I blacked out, and then woke again a few seconds later. THIS ISNT HIS FAULT YOUR MAKING HIM CRY! HE'S UPSET BECAUSE OF YOU! YOU DID THIS TO HIM! A voice screamed at me in my head. I felt got blood trickle into my mouth. I started to stand up to run into the wall again, but felt gales arms pulled my waist and holding my arms. My mother came running with a needle. She was going to inject me with something. I struggled against Gale.

"Katniss! Katniss please! Katniss look it's me! It's Gale! Look at me Katniss look at me!"
He pleaded.
I slowly stopped struggling against him and looked at his eyes, tears pouring out of them.
"I did this to you.. I did this to you..." I whispered.
I tried to get out of his grip, and this time, succeeded. I went to run at the wall again, but stopped as I put both my hands on it. Then my head. I started to cry again. I slid down the wall and into a crumpled ball on the floor. Blackness started to zoom in on me. The world spun. I vaguely herd my mother pleading Gale to carry me into the kitchen. I felt myself being life's off the ground. More blood poured into my eye and on my lips. My eyes felt droopy, my breathing ragged.
"Katniss! Katniss stay with me!" Gale said panicked.
I was placed on the table. The pain in my head was almost blinding. Everything was exiting me. My blood, my happiness, but also my rage. That's all I remember before I blacked out.

I wake up what seems like an eternity later in bed. Gale is next to me, holding me tightly but gently. There is smooth cotton wrapped around my head, and dried blood on my lips. Gale is asleep, and he looks very very tired, so I try to move as quietly as I can.
I turn over softly so that I am facing him. Our noses are only an inch or two away. I weakly lift my hand up and brush it through his hair. I lean in and kiss him ever so gently. I whisper how sorry I am over and over and over until it lulls me to sleep.