56

Gale pov

I was sitting in the kitchen with my mom when Katniss opened the door. She had just visited haymitch.

She collapsed against the wall and slid to the floor.

I approached her and slowly sat down next to her.

No words were necessary on my part. I listened to what she wanted to say.

"...and there were pictures of me everywhere and he thought I was dead I should have gone sooner and seen him he was all alone..."

She started to cry.

I pulled her into my lap and ran my fingers through her hair.

"Katniss he loves you like his own daughter. He cares about you. But he doesn't care that you didn't go to him. He understands. You did nothing wrong." I carry her into her bedroom, lay her down on her bed, and tell her I'll be right back.

In the kitchen, I talk with my mother and tell her what just happened.

"I can't make her smile. She's sad and broken....I don't know I just...she deserves to be the happiest person alive."
I tell my mother.

"Gale, I know you love her when she's happy or sad. You love her in whatever conditions. She knows that. That's why she's sad around you sometimes, because she can trust you with her emotions. She loves you just as much as you love her, or she wouldn't have put the ring on her finger that night."

She says.

So I walk back to our room, I get in bed next to Katniss, and wrap my arms around her tightly.

"I love you.
I love you.
I'll keep you safe.
I'll love you whenever
I'll love you forever.
You're mine. I am yours. Anything else is unthinkable."