Part 23

Hazel pov

I herd a commotion. Gale was yelling. Loud. Everyone was awake. They were looking at something. Something in a tree. Oh. Oh no. It was Katniss. Her hand fast on a rope hanging from the highest branch. No. No. That poor girl. "Katniss..no please catnip don't do this" Gale choked out as he raced up the tree. I watched as he slowly pried the rope out of Katniss's trembling hand. She wouldn't let it budge at first. Bit finally she gave up. The rope slipped from her hand. I could only see siluetts of them, but the night was so quiet, I can hear almost ever one of their words. "Katniss..." Gale said. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. I'm sorry. Please! I don't know what I was thinking-" Katniss was frantically speaking in a panicked voice thick with sadness and tears. Gale pulled her into an embrace. It was a mirical that they didn't fall out of that tree. He let out a choked cry. "I'm sorry" Katniss said over and over again. I looked over my shoulder and saw Katniss's mother and prim were both crying. Rory had a blank expression on his face. A tear rolled down Vicks face. Gale finally persuaded Katniss to climb down from the tree. He picked her up in his arms and carried her to the bed that we had made earlier for everyone. Prim, knowing that Katniss was safe, went to sleep. Everyone began to get back into their beds. But Gale wasn't. He sat with his back propped up against a tree. He ran is fingers through Katniss's hair. She looked asleep. Tears endlessly ran down gales face. I quietly walked over to him and sat next to him. "Gale..." I said. My son looked so sad. Sadder than I have ever seen him. "I almost lost her. I almost lost her forever. She almost jumped. I almost lost her" he said in a trembling voice. "You saved her though. You caught her in time." I said back. "But what if I'm not there next time. I can't lose her. I can't lose her. What would I do without her?" He said. "You know what Gale? You make sure you tell her you love her and tell her you can't lose her. That might just keep her around" I said gently. "Mom. What if.... I can't lose her. I can't lose her again. I can't lose her again" he said. I knew he was talking about Katniss going into the games. He almost lost her. I remeber he wouldn't leave the couch by the tv when she was there. He stayed up all night to make sure she was ok. "It's going to be ok. Alright?" I said. "Ok mom." He said. "Goodnight Gale. I love you" I said.

I went back to my bed. The grass mats we wove were actually surprisingly comfy. But I couldn't sleep. I watched Gale held Katniss. She woke. "Gale..." She said when she saw his face. "Hey" he said. "Gale. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing. I had I nightmare. I'm sorry. I'm selfish. Please don't hate me." She said with a voice thick with tears. "Catnip, I don't hate you. I will never hate you. I'm sad because I love you and I don't know what I would do if you weren't here. I wouldn't know what to do with myself." At this tears rolled down my cheeks. My poor son. Poor Katniss. After Gale said this, Katniss let it a small cry. "I'm sorry. I love you. I don't want to hurt you. I'm sorry." She said. She was almost choking. Gale held her even tighter. "Shh. You know you can come to me whenever you want. I don't care if it's two in the morning. I just want you to be safe." Gale said. "Thank you." Katniss said. Gale kissed her forehead. "I love you Katniss" he said. "I love you to."

I knew that they loved eachother. I knew Gale loved her. From the very beginning. The smile he wore when he came back from the woods from hunting with her. The way he relaxed when he saw her. How much he cares for her. I hope nothing happens to the both of them. Because I can only imagine what would happen if one was without the other.