Part 9

Hazel (mrs. Hawthorne) pov

Katniss and Gale were up before all of us. They made a stew for breakfast, and told us to get moving. By what I guessed was seven thirty we started walking. We didn't stop until the sun was high in the sky. "Alright. Rory and Vick, take my knife and go scrape bark off the pine trees and grab the insides of it and bring it back here." Says Gale. "Prim, mom, and hazel, you guys start looking for medical herbs." Katniss said. "Katniss and I are going to hunt to get pelts and fur from the game." Said Gale. We all dispersed. Rory and Vick walked off twords a clump of pine trees. Katniss and Gale walked deep into the woods, not making a sound. I watched how Katniss crouched down And aimed. They looked intently at the game and shot at it. Then laughed and smiled for a while until the next animal came trudging along. We already had some fur and leather from the deer Katniss shot. But it wasn't enough.

Katniss and Gale came back to our camp smiling and laughing. They were each holding a deer that looked like it was 250 pounds each. Surely it weighed more than Katniss, yet she was still carrying it like it was nothing. They also seemed to have lots of rabbit pelts in their hands to. "We're in business!" Exclaims Gale. We all buckle down and butcher the two deer. There was now enough pelts and weaved mats to make good beds. Everyone got to work laying down the mats and pelts. The skins were done drying and could be used for warmth. Then it started to snow. Hard. Katniss and Gale rounded us up and we settled with our matts and blankets under a huge oak tree. Rory started a fire. But we were all freezing. "We just have to brave this one out. Everyone squeeze close to one another to share body heat." Katniss instructed. So all of us squeezing as tight as we all could. Katniss and Gale were in the middle of us all, holding as all together. Posy was tucked under one of gales arms, Katniss the other. Prim was holding tightly to her mother. Rory was cuddled up next to me. Gales head dropped on top of Katniss's and posy moved to his lap and cuddled up. We all seemed warm. The fire started getting hot. Nobody really went to sleep yet. We were all quietly talking and murmuring. But Gale looked really worried. So did Katniss. Katniss's head layed on his shoulder and she brushed through posy's hair with her fingers. But she looked almost scared. Maybe she though we wouldn't make it through the winter. The snow fell blindingly in front of us in a sudden surge. This was going to be a long night. The wind blew hard against us all.