69

Katniss pov

I wasn't running to the woods of die. I didn't want to die. I want to live. I realized that when I made it to the fence.

"I don't wanna die..."

I whispered. Gale caught up with me, panic written on his face.

"Katniss where...don't-"

"I'm not going in there to die. I want to just be with you." I say.

I don't want to die. I can't die. I have a wonderful life now.

I have Gale. I have prim. My mother.

We walk into the woods, farther than we've gone in a while and just kept walking. Walking and talking. We talked and talked and talked about how we were gonna be alright together.
We finally stopped. It was at the lake we used to play in when we were younger. We dont sit, just look at our dim reflections in the icy water. I shiver.
Gale wraps his arms around me.

"Katniss, I loved you from the moment I saw you. I knew you were the one. I don't want anything to happen to you. I know that you've been through more than anybody should ever have to handle, but I know that you are strong. I know you'll still get nightmares, but I'll be there for you. Please try to be happy, because you're safe. Nobody can't hurt you now...... Do you remember when we were younger and we had to starve most nights because we had no way of food? Remember? Now remember that first night where both of our families had extra full stomaches. It was because of us. Because of you. We saved us. I love you."
Gale says.

I smile. Really big. For him.

I lean up and kiss him. He wraps his arms around my waist, mine on his neck. I remeber the first time we kissed. It was short and small, and very panicked and frantic. It was before I left for the games. When he came to say goodbye to me. It was just us. As they were dragging Gale out, he pulled away for a split second, and planted a tiny kiss on my lips, so light and so fast that it almost didn't count. But it did count. Even if we acted like it didn't happen once I got home. It did.
I remeber that even if we pretended that little kiss wasn't shared, things changed. We were even more comfortable with eachother. We hugged instead of just saying goodbye. The next time he kissed me was when we were tucked away in the woods, escaping. I was freezing. So was he. And it just...happend. Just like that. And that was it. I knew it right after that. I knew that he was the one. My best friend. He was mine. I was his.

Gale gently pulls his lips away from mine and looks into my green eyes. He always admired my eyes for some reason. When we first met, he told me that he liked them, although, at the time, I envied my sisters bright blue ones. But Gale taught me to love my eyes, and him, and finally, after lots of fighting and death thoughts and pain, my life.

When we get home, it's dead quiet. Everyone must be asleep. We quietly make it to our room without anyone waking. My head still stings a little, but it serves me right for how I used to think.

I lie on Gale chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

Beat beat...beat...beat....beat.......bum........beat............beat...........................beat.....

I can here it start to slow down as he falls asleep. My eyes become droopy, my head foggy, my thoughts liquids with fatigue. I haven't had a real good night sleep in ages. Tonight will be filled with plesant dreams and thoughts....