Part 11

Hazel pov

Katniss and Gale told us we can't do anything productive today because everything's covered in snow. I just decide to go with what they say. They know best. So we all just go off and do what we want. Rory Vick and prim are playing tag, myself and mrs Everdeen and posy are sitting around a small fire. I am knitting a tiny cloth from whatever scraps of yard I could grab from my house before we left, and Katniss and Gale are perched in a tree high above the ground. I just smile. Because I would never do that. Ever. I could barley see them they were so high up. And on top of that, they seemed to be standing up on a branch. I mean, the both of them are skinny, but they aren't weightless. How that tree branch didn't break under their weight, I have no idea. Then Katniss yells something. A wild dog. Katniss and Gale come climbing down the tree so fast I'm surprised they don't fall all the way down. "Everyone watch out! Where are the kids? There's a wild dog out here. I just saw it from the trees. "There." Katniss whispers. I see it. It is a few feet away from Gale. "Gale. It's behind you" Katniss whispered. Then it pounced on him. "No!" Screamed Katniss. She jumped on the dog and staved it with her knife. But it got up and started for her. She took the knife and threw it at it. It landed right in its heart. "Gale.. Gale!" Katniss said in a panicked voice. Mrs. Everdeen came running over. "No. No. Gale. No" Katniss whispered. "It's ok. I'm... Ok" Gale choked out. He was obviously in pain. By this time I was over by him. Katniss ran her hand over his check. "Shh it's ok" she said, her hand shaking. Gale layed his hand over hers. "Your ok." Katniss kept saying over and over, trying to convince herself that he was.  Mrs. Everdeen set out to work on gales leg where the dog had bitten it. Gale started to panic a little. It looked so painful. "Katniss, if this gets infected or something and I don't make it-" Katniss cut him off. "No. No your going to be ok." She said but there was panic evident in her eyes. Mrs. Everdeen sewed up his leg and wrapped it in a bandage soaked in an herbal concoction. "He should be ok" said mrs. Everdeen. I felt a flood of relief wash over me. "That thing would have killed me it you didn't tackle it." Gale whispers to Katniss. "No..." Katniss mumbles. "Yes it would have. Thank you."  He said Katniss smiled a little bit.

A little while later, we had Gale try to walk. He seemed to walk ok except for a limp. Mrs Everdeen said once the swelling goes down he should be good as new. Thank heavens. Gale would be ok.

It was almost 3 in the afternoon I think. We were all just sitting around and enjoying the serenity of the forest. Rory and prim were looking at a book. Posy was making faces at a turkey that wondered by. Katniss was picking pine needles to make into tea. Gale sat under a tree, his injured leg stretched out. After gathering the needles for tea, Katniss sat next to him. It was weird how the fit next to eachother so perfectly. "Feeling better?" Katniss says. "Yeah. A little" says Gale. Posy walks over and sits on gales lap. She looks just like him. His eyes. His dark hair. His olive skin, where as Rory and Vick have my light skin and honey colored hair. "Gwail?" Posy asks loudly. "Yes posy?" Gale says with a smile. "Does your boo boo hurt?" She says. "A little" Gale says poking her nose. "Kamiss?" Posy says to Katniss. "Can you make my hair pwitty like yours?" She asks. "Sure" says Katniss. So she braids posy's hair around the side of her head, ending on her right shoulder. While Katniss was tying off posy's braid, posy said "gwail? Do you think my hair is pwitty now like Kamiss's?" "Yes! Now your hair pretty hair can be friends with Katniss's pretty hair!" Gale said. Gale grabbed the end of Katniss's braid and said "hello posy! I'm Katniss's pretty hair" Gale said in a funny voice. Katniss was barley stifling a giggle. "So, posy's pretty hair, what's your name? My names catnip!" Katniss giggled trying not to laugh to hard. "My name is muffin!" Exlaimed posy. "Gwail, I'm gonna pway tag wif rowy and pwim." As posy scurried away, Katniss burst out laughing. "What? You should thank me. Now your pretty hair is friends with posy's pretty hair!" Katniss laughed even harder. Gale laughed to.

Soon, the sun started to set. The kids were coming back to the camp, Katniss was helping Gale walk over to the big bed we made from mats and furs. We were running out of food. As Gale lay down, she started to get up, and grab her bow. "Where are you going?" Gale said. "We're running out of food. I'm going to hunt for a little while." She said. "No! What if those dogs are out?" He said worriedly. "They won't be." She said. She bent down, kissed his head quickly and ran off twords the woods. Gale looked longingly at her. He started to get up. "No no mister. Your staying here." I said. "No mom! What if she gets hurt?" He says. "Let me go!" "No Gale I'm your mother and You have to stay here. Your still healing." He looked at the woods, just as Katniss's dark braid flew out of sight. "Fine" he whispered. But there was worry evident in his eyes. "She'll be ok. She knows these woods just as good as you do." I said. "Not at night! Not when there's a hundred other creatures lurking around and nobody to watch her back." He said. "My limp's all better. I can run and walk fine! Please let me go find her." He pleaded. "Fine" I said a little deffited. I watched as he ran twords the direction Katniss went.