73

Gale pov

As soon as her mother left, I knew I couldn't risk shutting my heavy eyelids again. The second I closed them, blackness would engulf me, and the nightmares would take over. Is this how katniss felt every time she got nightmares? She gets them almost every night. I finally know how it feels. It's horrible.

I lean over slightly to see if she's awake, and to no surprise, she is. Staring wide eyed and blankly at the ceiling with those beautiful green eyes you couldn't miss in a crowd of 1000.

"Catnip?" I whisper

She turns over so that we are practically nose to nose. I lean in and kiss her forehead.

"I'm sorry." I say.

"Gale it's my fault. I tryed doing what your nightmare was about. It was me." She says.

"No katniss it-"

She cuts me off by pressing her lips to mine. It feels so familiar. I close my eyes as I kiss her, and pretend we're in the woods, lying on our grass mats again, freezing. I shiver. Our lips are still locked together as I move in closer and wrap my arms around her and bring her as close into me as I can. I squeeze tight to her, dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go.
She slowly pulls away, but keeps her face so close to mine that I can count her tiny freckles. We're breathing the same air. Her nose grazes mine and stays there for a minute. I want to kiss her again. Badly. I want to kiss her and never stop. She's too perfect. Her bright eyes, her tiny freckles, and of course, her soft, flower scented brown braid. I lean in again and kiss her. She kisses me back harder this time, and wraps her arms around my neck. We're wrapped in a knot, cuddled together, kissing, holding on like our lives would end if we let go.
I remember when I thought that it was really the last time I would ever see her. At the justice building, where I got to say goodbye to her. As I walked in that door, I knew that that was it for the both of us. The odds were never in district 12's favor, even if they were the best hunters in the country.
As I walked in that room, I didn't really say much. An ugly sound escaped my throat, something between a cry and a moan of pain. I ran to her and enveloped her into my arms. She held onto me so tightly. I think she knew I needed it more than she did. After all, I would be the one living without my best friend. And it didn't help that I was in love with her.
So as I was being dragged out, I broke free from the guards for a split second and kissed her so quickly that it almost didn't count. But I did. It counted so much. As I let go, I looked into her emerald green eyes one last time before the door slammed in my face. I thought about that kiss for a long time.

And now, lying here with her tucked in with me, lying here with my last name attached to hers, I can say I love her freely. I don't have to fear that she'll have to fight for her life anymore. And I can kiss her whenever she wants me to.

We look at eachother for a while before her eyelids begin to look droopy. I kiss her forehead and keep it there. I know that that lulls her to sleep. Within ten minutes she's out cold.

GUUYYYYS I HOPE U LIKED