67

Katniss mother pov

Katniss has been gone for 2 weeks. She was called to district 6 for a meeting of the victors left alive. Gale is miserable. He's basically been sitting in the same spot in the kitchen for the entirety of her absence. He stares blankly at the wall in front of him and doesn't eat very much. I can't even imagine how much he is missing her. He hasn't spent more than a day without her in over two years. The last time he was away from her for long was when she went off to fight in the games.

Katniss should be home any second.

Katniss was supposed to be home an hour ago.

When will she be here for Gale?

She's now 2 hours passed her estimated time of arrival.

Finally the phone rings. It's haymitch. He says that they are running late because of some gathering in district 11 and that they are going to move through as soon as possible.

Gale asks to talk to Katniss.
I walk into the other room, but I can still hear their muffled conversation.
"Hey catnip. I miss you. When will you be home? I want to go hunt with you....I really miss you..." He says. He sounds like he is in a legitimate amount of pain.

"I'll be home soon hopefully." She answers.

"Well are you alright? I mean, I know that 11 isn't exactly the place you want to be."

"Gale... I just...I can't get rues face out of my mind. She was so young. I can't sleep here without you. I keep getting nightmares. I'm scared. I can't do this...I just want to come home. I just want to see you one last time-" she says. And then realizing what she said stops.

"Wait what? One last time? What do you mean one last time??" Gale asks panicked.

"Oh no no it's nothing I just-bad wording. Bottom line, I just miss you. I just want to see you. I miss you. I can't sleep without getting flashbacks. It horrible without you.." She says in a rushed tone.

"Alright. Please stay safe and don't do anything stupid. Please. I love you so much. Please come home soon I miss you catnip. I love you." Gale says to her.

" I love you too. I miss you." Katniss says.

As she says this his face lifts for a brief moment. He hangs up the phone and the moment is lost.

I wait a few minutes and then walk back into the kitchen.

"Is she alright?" I ask

"Yeah fine. They're just held up in 11. But I know she doesn't want to be their. Because of her. Because of rue." He says.

"I'm just worried she's gonna do something horrible just out of sadness and spite." He says a minute later.

I'm in fact worried about that to.

Gale sinks back into the same spot in the kitchen.

" Gale why don't you go to the woods? You haven't been there for a while.." I try.

"Not without her." He whispers. He says it like it's absolutely unthinkable to go into their sacred place without her. He instead says that he's going to take a nap.

He falls asleep in their bed. He leaves room for her, as if she would walk in any second and fall into bed with him. He knows that it's not going to happen though.

At about 3 in the morning we hear a door open. I know that it's Katniss.

I can hear Gale literally jump out of his bed and down the stairs until he stands right in front of her.

"Katniss..." He chokes out. She looks as if she has never eaten nor ever slept. She looks much to pale and thin. Gale starts to cry and hugs her tightly. It's one of the few times I've ever seen him cry this much.

"I missed you so much. I love you." He chokes out. By now, Katniss is full out sobbing in his arms. They hold eachother tightly.

When they finally break apart, tears still stream down Gale face. He takes her face in his hands and kisses her gently. Katniss wraps her arms around his neck. 
They don't move much. They stay there, gales lips pressed on hers. Tears streaming down both of their faces. When they finally break apart, they both smile.

"I missed you so much." Katniss says tiredly. Gale picks her up and carries her to the couch, where he sets her down and lies next to her. Katniss curls up on his chest and starts fall asleep. Sits up a tiny bit and kisses him one last time, a strand of her hair falling onto gales face and tickling his noses. Katniss wiggles her head so that the piece of hair tickles his nose.
"You're so adorable." Gale giggles as he kisses her again. Katniss no longer looks so starved. Gale doesn't look sad. It's going to be alright for now...for now.....

WHOOOOOOO