37

Katniss mother pov

Katniss catches sight of the ring right away. She looks into gales eyes.
"Catnip...marry me?" He says quietly. Prim starts to cry happy tears.

I start to cry happy tears.

Katniss hugs Gale and cries happy tears.

"I love you." She whispers.

They stay in their tight embrace for a while. They break apart, and Gale puts the ring on her finger.

It fits perfectly

She smiles and laughs and cries at the same time. Gale hugs her again with a huge smile.

By now we're all in tears.

"So that's a yes?" He says with a laugh.

Katniss looks straight at him.

"That's a yes." She says.

We all toast to Katniss and Gale at dinner. The smile on Katniss's face never left.

We had a little ceremony and toasted some bread.

Tradition goes that you toast bread, and then the groom kisses the bride.

So Katniss and Gale toast their little pieces of grain bread, then Gale takes Katniss's face in his hands gently, and puts a soft kiss on her lips. We all cheer. Katniss smiles even bigger. Prim is absolutely beside herself with joy.

Katniss and Gale fall asleep together in her bedroom, and she sleeps soundly all night with no nightmares.
Her head was buried in his chest, and his head on top of hers. Happy as could be. And safe now too.
I close my eyes thinking how wonderfully happy my daughter Katniss Hawthorne is going to be.