Ch. 57 - Sam and Kayla

I slid into my jogger's shorts and purple Bosse cheer shirt. I grabbed my keys, phone, and made my way downstairs where everyone was waiting for me.

We pulled up outside of the St. Marys Children's Hospital and gave the keys to the vela. I marched up to the front desk with Chase's hand in mine and my friend trailing behind me.

"Hey Rhyan! Here to volunteer or see your aunts?" Jack asked me. He had black hair and pitch black eyes.

"We're here to volunteer!" I smiled warmly. Jack stared at me for a second and looked up and down my body. He smirked as he typed away on his keyboard.

"Room 319, 320, 321, and 322. They all just got out of surgery and treatment." He said, handing me a piece of paper with the room numbers an his phone number written on it.

I scoffed as we walked away.

"He gave you his number didn't he?" Cheyenne asked, stepping up next to me.

"Yup." I said, popping the 'p'. I jerked my head to Chase when I heard him growl and tighten his grip on my hand.

"Down boy! When Cheyenne and I get someone's phone number, we give it to her cousin Michael. He bats for the other team." I smirked

(A.n.: no offense to gays or lesbians!)

"You girls are something else." Hinted laughed from behind us.

"But you love us Hunt!" I said, walking on my tip toes wrapping my arm around Hunter's shoulders.

We made our way to room 319 and I knocked on the door before I heard a faint 'come in'.

I opened the door to see a small, pale girl laying in an empty room. She couldn't have been any older than 5!

"Hello." She said, offering us a weak smile.

"I love your room!" Cheyenne and I said in unison, causing everyone in the room to chuckle.

She had a pink sparkly comforter an bed set instead of the hospitals. There were also pictures in frames around the room and drawings pinned up around the room.

"Thanks. The doctor told me I could decorate to make myself more comfortable. So my mommy and sister brought some stuff over from home." She smiled.

"Why don't you have any 'get well soon' balloons or cards?" Hunter asked, earning a whack upside the head from Cheyenne and Katelyn.

"I don't like when people feel bad for me. And it's a reminder that I'm ruining everyone's lives." She said sadly.

"Well, I can guarantee that you are not ruining anyone's lives. I just met you less than 5 minutes ago and I can already tell you're a strong, sweet, girl that has a lot of people loving you." I reassured her.

"You know, you never did tell me your names." She said, quickly changing the subject.

"I'm Rhyan, this is my boyfriend Chase. That is my best friend Cheyenne and her boyfriend Hunter. And finally, my little sister Katelyn. What's your name?" I asked politely.

"Kayla. And I've had many people ask why I'm here. I have stage 4 brain cancer and I've been in this room for almost 6 months." She smiled proudly.

I figured she she had cancer because of her lack of hair and all the dark bags under her eyes.

"Hey Kayla! Mom and I brought you some Chinese food from the mal-" a feminine voice sounded from the door, causing all of us to turn towards the person.

I was overly shocked when I saw Sam standing in the doorway holding a white box with I'm guessing her mom behind her.

"W-what are you guys d-doing here?" She asked nervously.

"We came to volunteer and the guy down stairs gave us Kayla's room number. What are you doing here?" Cheyenne asked in confusion.

"Kayla's my little sister." She said, walking over to the bed and handing Kayla the box of food.

"Well, you're both very lucky to have each other." I smiled sweetly

"Thanks." They smiled happily.

"So!" Cheyenne interjected.

"What do you want to do Kayla? Today's all about you." I smiled.

Since Cheyenne and I volunteer here every year and her uncle and 3 of my aunts are all nurses and doctors here, everyone trusts us enough to take the patients out of the hospital for a couple hours a day. With their parents consist of course!

"Well, I do like the mall." She said, eyeing us carefully.

"Is it alright if we take her to the mall?" I asked her mother who was still standing in the doorway.

"I don't mind. But honey, take your cell phone." She smiled.

"Would you like to go?"I asked Sam.

"I can't. I have to get to work. But thanks for the invite." She replied sadly.

"Maybe some other time." I replied. "Let's get you dressed and then we can go!" I smiled.

With everything she could, Kayla walked to a basket placed in the corner full of clothes and shoes. Wow! This girl had it good!

She came out of the bathroom in jean shorts that came to the tips of her knees and a bright blue tank top and matching Keds and bandana to cover her small bald head.

"You look beautiful." I smiled, taking her hand in mine.

"Does she have any medication or an inhaler we need to take?" Cheyenne asked, running through our usual procedures. She didn't have anything so we left after her mom gave Kayla shopping money. Luckily Kayla was leaving in a couple months and didn't have to use oxygen tanks.

I placed her fragile body on my back an we ran out of the hospital with her giggling the entire time.

We pulled up to the mall and climbed out. This time, Chase threw Kayla on his shoulders and held onto her shin her left shin with his left hand and room my hand in his right.

We entered the mall and headed to Kayla's first destination. Justice.

We ended up getting her a fuzzy, pink, peace sign pillow that has speaker inside it an a cord or a phone. This world is getting so high tech!

Next we went to Bath and Body Works. She got Pumpkin Spice perfume and lotion. Next we went to Finish Line to get her some shoes.

She ended up getting 2 pairs of Air Jordan's. Then we went to Aeropostale PS and he got 2 t-shirts, 4 pairs of shorts and a gorgeous sun dress.

Next we went to Glitter. She got 3 scarves, 5 bandanas, 2 belts, 2 bottles of mail polish, 2 tongue rings for her sister, and a bunch of bracelets and necklaces.

Before we left, we bought Kayla lunch at TGI Fridays since she didn't eat at the hospital. We ate and talked about our favorite tv shows, movies bands etc.

I found out that Kayla has a puppy Pomeranian named Sparkles at home, her favorite group if singers is One Direction, her favorite movie is Water Boy, her favorite tv show is 16 and pregnant, and her favorite color isn't pink its blue like mine.

"We had a really great day with you Today Kayla. Hopefully we'll get to see you again soon!" Hunter said as I closed the door to walk Kayla inside.

We got up to her room and I placed all her bags on the couch next to her bed and next to a sleeping Sam.

"I had a lot of fun today!" She smiled, standing up on her bed and placing her hands I my shoulders so she was eye level with me.

"We had a lot of fun with you too!" I smiled. "We'll definitely have to do it gain sometime before you go home." I smiled.

"Okay! And can I tell you something?" She asked quietly.

"Of course!" I smiled.

"Chase an Hunter are really cute!" She whispered, causing me to laugh. She's so cute!

"Okay! And remember, you have my number in your phone! We out it in there at lunch. And if you EVER need anything or you just want someone to talk to, i'm all ears!" I smiled

"Okay." She said, giving me ones at hug. I hugged her back tightly. I pulled away and had to leave before my friends left me.

I always loved coming here to hang out with these kids! They're so sweet and grateful for what they have. But, it's hard when you get attached to one and something horrible happened to them. I was just so happy she had fun today!

Since she has stage 4, that means she's on her lat leg. I really hope they can get her cancer and get rid of it. She's such a sweet girl that has so much of her life to live! I can't wait to hang out with her again!

She deserves to have fun while she still has energy in her. I remember the first time I volunteered here. I took a little boy named Caleb out to the park and to dinner. I brought him back to the hospital and promised to come see him everyday after school. And that's what I did! About a month after I made tat promise, I came back to his room and everything was gone.

His black bed set was gone, his toys were all gone, his family was gone, and he was gone. I asked a nurse what happened and where was he. He passed away early that morning. See, he had stage 2 kidney cancer. He was only 5 for goodness sakes!

That's the day I promised to help as many kids as I could, have the best time of their lives before the passed. Since Caleb, I've helped over 50 kids along with Cheyenne. She was there every time I went to see Caleb so she knew the pain also.

It makes the heartbreak better if you have someone to go through it with. But seeing all these small children who don't even get a chance to experience life, it hurts when they're gone. And plus you get so attached to them.