Ch. 43 - callbacks and flashbacks

I slid my kneepads over my socks and then slipped on my shoes before walking out into the gym for callbacks. I walked over and stretched with Sierah while Cheyenne and Kaylee stretched with the other girls like on Monday.

While everyone ran their 10 laps, Sierah and I decided to give the girls another tryout day and make it a little fun.

"Okay ladies, bring it in!" Sierah called to the girls as they finished the laps. All the girls walked over to us as they tried to gain their breath.

"We decided to play a few games. First we're going to scrimmage. Varsity vs. reserve, and then we might spread out into different groups." I said as Kaylee and Cheyenne set up the volley nets.

We scrimmage for about 20 minutes while Cheyenne, Kaylee, Sierah, and I offered re girls playing advice. I noticed a girl in the front middle that looked to be bored, since the ball came to her 1 time the whole time we played.

I ran over to Sierah where she was serving the ball into the court and told her we were going into the game. I showed her the girl and she knew exactly what I was getting at.

"Okay. Vanessa and Kyrah. Come out for a minute." I yelled as Cheyenne and I took their places on the court.

Sierah and Kaylee took Ashley and Sarah's spots on the court. Sierah served it straight to me so I set it to Cheyenne. She set it over to the girl in the front middle and she jumped up an slammed it over the net In a spike.

We all cheered a the ball slammed into the floor. I ran up to her and high fives her, asking what her name was.

"My name'd Sam." She smiled.

"Well Sam, I think you'll make an excellent spiker. I want to see you'r sets though. Set me up." I smiled, walking back to my position.

Sierah snapped the ball over the net to Cheyenne. Cheyenne bumped it to Sam, who set me up. I jumped up to the net and best the ball down on the other side of the net. Sadly, one of the juniors from the year before dove to the ground and sent the ball the Kaylee.

Kaylee set up Sierah, who set the ball over the net. Cheyenne, decided to kill it herself. So she jumped up and slammed the ball onto the court on the other side of the net, causing it to go out.

We finished callbacks and everyone gathered around Sierah and I in the middle of the court.

"Just like yesterday, we'll post the final team sheets on the board outside of the gym during 1st period." Sierah announced, pulling down her knee pads.

"Due to lack of money, we'll be having tons of fundraisers this year. The first one will be Saturday. It'll be a car wash so wear close that you can get dirty." I announced.

"Friday in 9th period we'll call you to the office and you can collect coupons. Each coupon you sell, you get the money that person spends, towards your volleyball supplies." Sierah finished, lancing around at the girls.

"Dismissed." I smiled, walking towards my bag. I grabbed it and exited the building to my car, when I saw someone standing against it. I internally groaned when I saw it was Justin.

"Hey Rhyan." He smiled, pulling his hoodie zipper up a little more.

"Hi Justin." I said flatly.

"Don't act so sad. I know you still like me. And you know I still like you." He smiled.

"No, I don't. And what's it going to take to get you to leave me alone?" I asked.

At my words, he pushed himself off my car and strutted over to me. I shifted uncomfortably as he wrapped his arms around my body.