Ch. 6 - the river & a new friend

We had been driving for almost an hour when Chase finally pulled over and turned the car off.

"Where are we?" I asked as he opened my door.

"Go look." He said pointing towards a long railing. I slowly crept over to the railing as he said, and my breath hitched in my throat when I saw we were at the river front.

"Do you like it?" He asked from behind as be wrapped his arms around my waist.

"My dad used to bring me here when I was younger. Then one day, he just stopped." I said as I recalled the memories.

"Well whenever you want to come down here, just call me and ill brig you." He said as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Thank you Chase." I whispered.

"No probablem." He replied calmly.

I ran up the steps to my porch as soon as chase dropped me off. I made my way up to my room and stripped out of my school clothes and into a black tank top and pink zebra striped short shorts.

"Where have you been?" My mom asked as I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"The river." I smiled.

"Okay." She replied. I quickly walked out onto the back porch and sat in one of the lawn chairs.

I whipped my iPhone out and got on Instagram immediately. I looked up Chase's name an sure enough he had one of the pictures we took at the river on there. As I scrolled through the pictures of us, I heard a couple of sticks snap from the woods behind our house.

"Who's there?" I called out. No reply. I stead of hearing someone's voice respond, a large black wolf came out of the trees. My breathing quickened as did my heart beat.

The wolf slowly approached me. It tenderly slid its muzzle into my hands and licked my palms.

"You're not a scary monster, now Are you?"I said slowly as it lied down at my feet.

"You need a name." I said as I noticed it had big blue eyes like Chase's, except the wolfs were glowing.

"I'll call you........midnight. Because you're dark like minight." I smiled at the poor excuse of a name I gave this ferocious beast.

Midnight starred up at me with his beautiful blue orbs and what looked like a smile on his face.

"You are just so cute!" I cooed as I rubbed Midnight behind the ears.

"I wonder why I've never seen you before." I said, scrunching up my eyebrows.

My phone burst with 'SOBER' by Evanescence. Dakota was calling me.

"Hello?"

"Hey Rhyan! What happened to you tonight? I came over and your mom said you weren't home."

"Sorry. I've been really flustered the past couple of days."

"Tell me about it!"

"Okay.well Cheyenne and I went to a club for my birthday on Friday and I met this guy named Chase. Well the next day Cheyenne and I went to The mall for new swim suits and he was there and made us have lunch with him and his friends. Then Sunday he invited me to go to his families cook out with him and I did. Then I invite him to go to my grandpas birthday dinner and he did. Well when he brought me home you called an we made plans for the movies. But he kept saying I couldn't go. Now he's acting like I belong to him and shit! It's sweet but aggravating at the same time. I mean I know he only wants best for me and stuff. But he's not my boyfriend so he can't tell me what I can and can't do!"

"It sounds like he likes you. Maybe you should make the first move."

"That's not going to happen."

"Try it! Maybe you'll learn a lot about him. You'll probably find out why he's acting like that."

"I guess you're right. Thanks Dakota. You always know what to say to make somebody feel better."

"Don't worry about it. Hey I gotta go. Bue."

"Bye."

As I hung up the phone, I looked down to see Midnight pouting.

"What's wrong buddy?" I said. I extended a hand to pet him, but he jumped up and backed away. I started to get scared and stood up to walk back inside when he grabbed my shirt in his mouth and tugged me backwards.

"Come on. Let go." I said, attempting to pull free. As I jerked again he released me and I fell to the ground.

"Ouch! Midnight, bad boy!" I said as I looked down at my hand. I guess when I hit the ground I cut my hand on the grill and sliced my palm open.

Midnight started to whine and he came up and licked my hand.

"Awe. It's okay boy. I forgive you" I said.

"I'm going to bed. You better get home." I said as I climbed to my feet and gripped my hand in my other.

I walked back inside and cleaned my cut thoroughly before wrapping it in gauze an heading off to bed.

I woke up the next morning and walked to the bathroom and did my daily routine. I swung my hair into loose curls and walked to my closet. I pulled out black yoga pants, light brown sparees, and a white t-shirt that read 'ALWAYS STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN. EVEN IF YOU'RE STANDING ALONE'. That was my favorite shirt and saying.

I grabbed my book bag and phone and scampered down stairs to find Chase outside waiting with Cheyenne.

"Okay. Lets go." Cheyenne smiled as she climbed into the back seat.

Once we arrived to school, I climbed out and walked up to the building with Cheyenne, leaving Chase to his crowd of people.

"Hey! Can I talk to you after school. Alone." Chase asked as he approached my locker.

"Sure." I replied. I turned and walked to class with Cheyenne on my heals.

"So." She smiled.

"What?" I asked as we sat down I our seats.

"You know what! Dakota and I talked last night. When are you going to ask him?" She questioned.

"Damn him! I don't know. Maybe today after school." I smiled.

The rest of the day went by pretty well. As I walked to Chase's car, i noticed he was standing there waiting for me.

"Ready? He asked as he threw my bag in the back seat.

"Yeah." I smiled nervously.

"Okay. We need to talk. So we're going to the park. Is that alright?" He asked as he pealed out of the Parkin lot.

"Perfect." I grinned.

We arrived at the park about a little while longer. I quickly opened the door and ran for the swings.

"So." He started.

"No! Me first." I said before taking a breath.

"Will you be my boyfriend?" I asked with closed eyes.

"I was going to ask to Ito be my girlfriend." He smiled. I opened my eyes and lunged into his arms in a hugging manor.

"I'll take that as a yes." I said as I clung to him tightly.

"Definitely." He said.