Chapter 70

Songs: 

Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?: Paloma Faith

In Love By Now: Jamie Foxx

Harry's POV

After about ten minutes of me being left completely alone, I settled on starting dinner. It was still a little early to have dinner, but since I was making lasagna, by the time I was done prepping and cooking everything, it would be time to eat again. I was hoping that this would also put Katarina in a good mood. I knew she was still upset about the whole Alice thing, but it had been well over a few days since all that happened, no matter how much I screwed up, she always forgave me, quickly. And this time it wasn't even my fault, so there just had to be something else bothering her. I just wished she would talk to me about it instead of being in a little funk.

That's why I had decided to go ahead and give her the library early, I wanted her to have somewhere to go and be herself and vent if she wanted. By my calculations, it wouldn't have been completely ready for another two weeks. I had to wait for a few things to arrive and some things were being custom made still. It was a miracle that I had gotten done as far as I had in the short window I had. Thankfully, pretty much everyone had pitched in. I hadn't intended for it to go that way, but it just sort of happened, and they were all more than happy to help.

Now I was just wondering why Katarina needed to see Samara so urgently. Any other time she would have agreed with me and sent her packing. I could blame it on the fact that Niall was with her as well, but I doubted she knew he'd be joining her. I also thought maybe she just didn't want to have sex with me because of the whole Alice thing, but that theory went out the window when I recalled Christmas night and the morning before we came back home. There really wasn't an explanation to her current behavior. None that I could think of, anyway.

Niall finally made an appearance as I was chopping up some onion, which I'll admit, was making my eyes water and I hadn't even gone through half an onion yet. "You cooking?" He asked, sitting on the stool across from me. I didn't expect him to help, I actually was relieved when we came to the conclusion long ago that unless it was cereal or a sandwich, he shouldn't try to cook. Not that I was picky, but I had this weird thing where I didn't like to eat crunchy eggs or charcoaled meat. I guess I'm just strange that way.

I nodded, continuing to chop my onion through squinting, watery eyes. "You guys should stay for dinner, I'm making lasagna." I knew Katarina would probably end up inviting them anyway, she had a tendency to do that. Plus, it would be nice to have Niall around outside of a work commitment. I missed him. Well, I missed all the boys, but Niall was just so chipper and go lucky that I probably missed him the most at the moment. Not that I didn't love having Katarina with me all the time, but being happy with her was different from being happy with Niall. He was like my brother and she was my girlfriend. There was a difference.

"Well, since ya begged," he mocked frustration. "Oh, guess who I ran into the other day?"

"Who?" I asked, trying to look up at him through my squinting eyes. I knew I had to cut more onion since I had just invited Niall and Samara over for dinner. Well, I should just go for a larger portion anyway, Katarina loves having leftovers for lunch.

"Amanda," he stared at me intently, waiting for my reaction. Now, that's a name I hadn't heard in a long time. Last I heard she had moved to Spain or something.

"How is she?" I asked casually, trying not to be rude. I really couldn't give two shits how she was.

"Good, she asked for you."

Hm, interesting. "And what did you say?"

I stayed quiet for a moment, watching as he got up to walk over to the fridge to grab something to drink, or more like avoid eye contact. "I was honest and told her you were happy with someone and it was pretty serious." Good. "She told me she wants to see you."