Chapter 38

Songs: 

Ring The Alarm: Beyonce

Wolves: One Direction

Jealous: Nick Jonas

A.J.'s POV

The car ride to the event was probably the most nerve wrecking experience I had gone through to date. The only thing that kept me from going insane was Harry's firm grip on my hand as his fingers slipped through mine. Sam had been right. What my parents had wasn't what I had with Harry. From what I remembered, my mom didn't look at my dad the same way he looked at her. I remember the way his eyes lit up whenever he saw her or even spoke of her, even after they had divorced and she had married Victor. She didn't even look at Odie that way.

I felt myself grow angry as the thought of my mother treating Odie badly. I could take it, I had lived with it for twenty years now. Odie was still a little girl who needed her mother. I didn't want her to end up like me. That would be a horrible thing. I wanted nothing but happiness and love to surround my sister. Not the harshness and hate my mother always seemed to exude. But, I had a feeling that my baby sister was strong enough to tolerate her or at least smart enough not to pay her no mind.

"We're here," Harry's soft voice called me back to reality.

I took in a deep breath as the door was open for us and Harry exited the car first. It took me a moment, but I soon followed, taking his extended hand for support. Once I was steady on my own two feet and we had gotten far enough from the car, Harry wrapped his arm around my waist, again supporting me as he climbed the steps of the front of the building. Not long after, Sam and Niall joined us, the four of us entered the building together.

"Name," the snobby woman with a clipboard spat at us as we approached her.

"Katarina Sloan," I answered strongly. "Samara Cruz," Sam spoke at the same time.

The girl's eyes went wide as we spoke our names and she noticed Harry and Niall with us. "Um, Ms. Sloan, Ms. Cruz, please forgive me. Enjoy yourselves," the girl spoke nervously. "If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask."

"Thank you," I said as politely as I could manage. Normally someone like this wouldn't bother me. What bothered me was the way she was looking at Harry up and down as if he were a piece of meat.

Before she could say anything else, I pulled Harry along to the main floor. I had no idea where I was going, but I just wanted to get him away from her imaginative eyeballs. I heard Harry chuckling at my side, but I didn't stop to ask him what was so funny. The more distance I put between her and him, the better. I scanned the area until I finally spotted my grandfather.

"You got jealous, didn't you?" Harry whispered in my ear as we made our way to the group of people surrounding my grandfather.

I didn't answer him. I was not jealous, just annoyed. There was a difference. If I was jealous I would have punched her in the face. No, I probably wouldn't, I'd feel bad if I did something like that. I ignored him while he continued to tease me about my supposed jealousy.

"This is my granddaughter, Katarina, her boyfriend Harry and their friends Samara and Niall," my grandfather introduced us to the group of people he was with. I was a little surprised that he knew Niall's name at all. Well, I probably shouldn't be, he had a tendency to know pretty much everything, he probably knew about Harry and I before Sarah even called. 

As we all greeting each other, I noticed their faces were fixed in a shocked state, matching the expression of the girl who had attended us when we first walked in. I began to feel a little uncomfortable as they all began to chatter to themselves and asked my grandfather questions about me as if I weren't there. Most of them were about me and why none of them have ever met me until now. They, like everyone else had presumed I had died along with my dad and brother.