Chapter 53

Songs:

If I Ain't Got You: Alicia Keys

Flightless Bird, American Mouth: Iron & Wine

 Abrazame Muy Fuerte: Juan Gabriel  

Rather Be: Jasmine Thompson

A.J.'s POV

I woke up early the next morning, I didn't want to leave Harry, especially after the incredible night we had, but, our flight was leaving later tonight and I wanted to get in a final ride with my grandpa before I left and I didn't see him again for God knows how long. Without fail, my grandpa was getting his horse ready when I got there. Even though the party ran long and he probably went to bed late, he would never miss his morning ride.

"You made it," he smiled at me as I got Athena ready. "Out of all the horses, why do you insist on riding the most dangerous one?"

"Why do you?" I threw the question back, knowing full on well that he rode her in my absence.

He ignored my question with a knowing grin, riding out, waiting for me. Once Athena was ready, I mounted her and followed him out. I followed slightly behind as we made our way around the land at a steady pace, making sure everything was running smoothly.

"I'm proud of you mijita," he looked at me as we stopped at the edge of his land, the sun getting ready to raise.

I looked at him curiously. "Why abuelito?"

He smiled, removing his hat from his head. "I know your life hasn't been easy and I wish I would have done something to help you-"

"Abuelito," I sighed, interrupting him, which earned me a scolding.

He shook his head. "You have become such an incredible woman. Honorable and someone I can be proud of, and I know Robert would also be so proud," he smiled at me, making me feel odd, warmth filling me. "Despite everything you have been through and everything that your mother throws at you, you've still managed to thrive. But, I have to admit, you were starting to scare me a little."

"Why?" I asked before he had a chance to explain. What had I done that scared him?

"You had this idea that you didn't need anyone to love, that it was pointless," he let out with a heavy sigh, shaking his head again. "I know you may hate me for saying this, but I am glad that you found a man to make you happy," He looked at me, trying to gauge my reaction, but I stayed stone-faced, waiting for him to elaborate. "Frankly, I would have been happy even if it was a woman," he laughed. I rolled my eyes. It was odd that a man his age, that was so old fashioned in his ways, was okay with members of his family being gay. But, I suppose that just went to show what type of man he was. He didn't care about "straight" or "gay", all he cared about was, our happiness.

"You were slowly turning into Sarah," he continued. His words hurt more than I cared to admit. "You needed someone to show you how to love again, let you know you were worth loving, to show you how to live, not just go through the motions of life. You jump off buildings just to make sure your heart's still beating. That isn't living." He sighed. "I see the way he looks at you, like you are his whole world and how you look at him as if you need him to survive. It's a beautiful thing, but it can also be dangerous for the both of you. You need to learn to find a peaceful balance."

I stayed quiet as I took in his words, watching the sunrise with him. He was right, what Harry and I had, though it felt beautiful at times, wasn't healthy. Not for him, and definitely not for me. If he hurt me the way everyone else has, if we broke up for some reason, I don't think I could handle it. It was surely a conversation that he and I needed to have, sooner, rather than later.