Chapter 32

Songs:

No: Shakira

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart: Al Green

I Who Have Nothing: Ben E. King

You're My Waterloo: The Libertines

Harry's POV

Katarina was a mix of giddy, annoyed and angry? I couldn't help feeling angry either when I noticed what was causing that reaction from her. Natalie was watching us intently. Though she was smiling and laughing along with the jokes that were flying across the room, her eyes were still sad, she seemed distant. It was a complete three-sixty turn from her mood moments ago. She still leaned into me, but every time I tried to give her a kiss, she backed away. I tried to brush it off, thinking that she didn't want to show any PDA in front of her family, but I could feel it was something more than that, probably more than Natalie.

She would smile and snuggled up to me, whenever her mother said something that pissed her off, which generated a mutual flare of anger from her mother whenever we were close. Though that almost brought her to burst into a fit of laughter, she still seemed off, like something was bothering her or she was thinking too hard about something. I tried to ignore it, but I noticed she had started looking over at Theo every so often. I could feel myself getting jealous at how she stared at him, mindlessly. I knew I shouldn't be worried, but I couldn't help it.

I noticed a few glances being exchanged between her, Natalie and Theo. I could sense her getting angry as our conversations dragged on, but suddenly, out of nowhere, she began to smile. It was a full blown genuine smile, the one that I loved so much, that hadn't been present since the moment we left her art studio and we had basically confessed our love for each other. But her smile wasn't directed at me, or Odette, not even Tommy. It was directed at Theo, of all people. I watched confused as she stood up from her seat, which no one seemed to really notice.

"I'll be right back," she said as she walked passed me.

Not long after, Theo was quick on her heels. I didn't know what to think or what to do. Before I could form a full thought, I was up on my feet following the direction they had gone. I walked around the house in search of them, until I heard voices coming from the kitchen. I stayed behind the wall, trying to listen to what was being said.

"I don't want to fight anymore, Theo." I heard Katarina's voice speaking.

"No one is fighting," Theo spoke up.

I heard Katarina's boot connecting with the floor, indicating that she was pacing across the room. Probably getting frustrated or not able to find the words to say.

"Whatever happened, I don't want it to keep coming up in my life," she mumbled. "I want to be free from all this pain and hurt inside of me, I want to be happy. And to do that, I need to let go of my past. I wish I could just shut you out, but I can't, you're my step brother, Odie's brother. No matter how much I try to push you away and no matter what you did, you will always be part of her life and that means you'll always be part of my life."

"We could have had something," Theo spoke. "We still can."

Katarina scoffed, almost laughing. "You're my step brother, even if I did like you in that way, I couldn't be with you, not after everything you put me through." Her pacing came to a stop. "Theo, I'm in love with Harry. For the first time, I am experiencing something beautiful and it's being clouded by darkness, hate and fear. Because of you, my mom, my dad, Robbie, I'm afraid to love Harry. The way I love him now, it's nothing compared to what I know I could love him one day if I just get rid of all this I've been holding inside for so long."