Chapter 39

Songs:

What Do You Mean?: Justin Bieber

Complicated: Rihanna

When Love Hurts: Jo Jo

Broken-Hearted Girl: Beyonce

  Never Enough/Story Of My Life: One Direction  

A.J.'s POV

The table we were sat at was large enough for everyone to sit, along with my grandfather and two of his friends, or business partners, I wasn't sure. I sat down first, hoping that Harry would decide to sit next to me, which he did, after he pulled out the seat next to his for Madison to sit next to him. I let a small smile show, not wanting my anger to be so evident. I shifted slightly in my seat, giving Harry my back as I focused on Sam, Niall and Stephen who were sitting on the other side of me, in that particular order.

Small chatter was made around the table, but I was careful not to address Harry or Madison. Stephen was quick on asking me questions once he found out I was Max Sloan's "long lost granddaughter". I swear these people are going to drive me insane with all their nonsense. What the hell did it matter if I was alive or not. I mean, obviously it mattered to me, but it was nothing they should have been that concerned about. Niall just laughed and made crude jokes the entire time, which put me in a slighter mood.

Everyone at our table was entertained in conversations with each other while I sat there in silence, praying that this night would end quickly. As much as it pained me to admit it, Harry had a point about us making an engagement to be here, well, technically he made it, not me. Besides, I don't think my leaving would go over to well with my grandpa. He had a sort of prideful look on his face whenever he introduced me, this was the moment he had been waiting for, for years but he had respected my wishes for a somewhat normal life.

Bored out of my mind, I pulled out my phone from my clutch which was near enough to Harry that it caught his attention. I ignored the looks he was giving as I pulled up my messages. I had a few from my sister and Chris, which I responded to quickly. I knew Odie wouldn't answer till the morning, but I had hoped that Chris wasn't too busy and he would reply soon.

I switched my phone from silent to vibrate as I waited, taking a sip from my water. Though I could go for something with a little more kick to it. Seconds later my phone vibrated in my hand, alerting me of a new text. Thankfully it was from Chris.

Chris: I'm not busy. Well I'm with some friends, why what's up?

I smiled as I read the screen before typing a text of my own.

Me: Nothing, just bored and I miss you!

Me: Well, I'm at this thing with pops and Sam.

I waited for a reply, still ignoring Harry's gaze on me. Seconds later another text appeared.

Chris: Ditch em, come hang out with me, Ed and Louis.

Chris: I bet it'll be a lot more fun than whatever it is you guys are doing...

I momentarily contemplated his offer. I wasn't going to miss much here anyway. My grandfather was talking business, Sam was occupied with Niall and Harry was also too occupied with Madison. He probably wouldn't have even noticed if I left. There was Stephen, but I really didn't want to be around him, I'd just spend my time comparing and contrasting him and Harry. Besides, I missed Chris and Ed, and Louis was always a blast to be around. Before I could come to a full decision, my phone began to go crazy in my hand. When I checked it, I had received texts from both, Ed and Louis before becoming part of a group message.