Chapter 69

Songs:

Let It Be: Ray Charles (The Beatles)

Runnin' (Lose It All): Naughty Boy, Beyonce, Arrow Benjamin

I Could Fall In Love: Selena

I Chose You: Barcelona

Can't Help Falling In Love: Meghan Trainor (Spotify Sessions)

A.J.'s POV

I found myself pacing in front of the door to the new library that Harry had gifted to me yesterday. He was out running some errands, which left me with ample time to think. A dangerous pastime at the moment, I know. Thirty minutes went by and I still wasn't sure if I should walk in or not. I clutched the little canister with the pill I was supposed to take today, well, in two hours. But, now I wasn't so sure if I wanted to take it. I played Sam's speech in my head over and over again and thought about how Harry was just, I don't even know. He was just Harry. 

I gathered up every bit of ounce I could muster up and turned the damn knob, pushing myself through the door. Immediately, I was overwhelmed with a sense of security and warmth. I walked around the room, lightly tapping my fingers on everything as I passed them by. When I finally reached the desk, I was confronted by the envelope that Harry had presented to me yesterday, which was a letter from my dad.

I picked it up, smoothing my hands over it as I had the day before. It was old and tattered. It looked and smelled like it had been put away for a long time, the corners slightly bent. After a long moment of just staring at it, I finally got the guts to turn it over and pull out the piece of folded paper from inside.

Dear Katarina,

My precious girl, I know that you are the most troubled by the way your mother and I ended things. But, I want you know and understand that we both love you very much. I may not always physically be there, but I hope that I am a good enough father to you that you feel my guidance and love as you grow up into the wonderful woman I know you will become one day, even if I'm not there. I know one day you will find a man that will take my place as your protector, my only request is that you find someone who loves you as deeply as you love them. Someone who will bring out the best parts of you and make you want to better the worst. Someone who you could see yourself starting a family and growing old with. I pray that you find utter happiness.

No matter how lonely you feel, you will always have people who love and care for you all around. You will always be looked after, even when you don't think you are, or you don't want to be. You are a special little being. Rare and beautiful, inside and out.

Love,

Papa

I read the note over and over, letting my fingers trace over my dad's handwriting. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes, but I blinked them away, shoving the paper back in its envelope and dropping it back on the desk, as if though the paper were burning my skin. After a few deep breaths, I opened my eyes again, picking up the encased baseball. I carefully removed the glass top, setting it aside as I pulled the baseball into my hand.

My fingers ran over the laces, gripping the ball just the way Robbie had showed me. I tossed it up in the air a few times, recalling the times he had tossed it to me when he was teaching me how to catch. I unknowingly made my way around the desk, still tossing and catching the ball as I took a seat on one of the sofas.

When I finally looked up, I noticed I was sitting directly in front of my dad's painting. I rolled the ball in my hand, just watching the painting. Robbie and I had a pretty amazing papa. He wasn't perfect, but he was perfect for us. He loved us and tried his best to be all that he could be for us.