Chapter 30 ~Morgan~

I gulped in air frantically as I burst through the gates of the Swords' garden. It had become more unkempt and clearly hadn't been tidied since I had left. 

I leaned on a post and tried to catch my breath- I had been running since I reached the border because riding a horse would be too indiscreet.

I had no doubt Alana was here. There was no way that she would just run away, and the dead guards by her tent was enough for anyone to realise what had happened, but the commanders insisted on sending a message to a professional team to get her.  

I knew they wouldn't get her. My dad would kill them immediately- what he really wanted was me; he wanted me to be on his side, to work for him, and I wasn't as easy to capture as Alana was. I don't know how he guessed that having Alana as a prisoner would give me a reason to do what he says. 

I jogged through the back door of the kitchen for the left wing. I conveniently knew all the doors that weren't guarded around here. 

A hostile droplet of sweat trickled down my forehead as I sprinted silently towards the Great Hall to find my Dad. I had to make sure that I wouldn't get caught before that, because then I would be as helpless as Alana is.

Unless something's happened to her...

No.

They can't have done something bad to her. 

She is Queen.

I walked up the steps onto the corridor that lead to the stairs up to the Great Hall. My head was spinning, partly from exhaustion, but mostly from worrying about all the possibilities of what they could've done to Alana.

Whatever they've done, they will pay.

I stumbled up the stairs to the Great Hall, where my dad always is, and tried to make myself more presentable. If my dad saw the extent that I go to for Alana, he would threaten to do something drastic to her if I didn't do what he said. I couldn't let him see me in this state.

I took a few deep breaths and pushed open the heavy oak door, which had a red flag, boldly embroidered with a sword emblem, draped over it. It swung open with ease, and I took a few, slow steps inside, trying to look as if it was a casual thing to do. I obviously hadn't been noticed until I cleared my throat, and the sound echoed throughout the hall, bouncing off the walls, which displayed hundreds of gleaming, sharpened swords.

I saw my father's head lift up, and a small grin creep onto his face. There was a triumphant twinkle in his eyes, which made his smile seem even more evil.

He's got what he wanted now. 

Now he has to let Alana go.

He took large and steady paces towards me, his smile widening by each step. I walked towards him, too, my stomach literally convulsing and my heart pumping so loud I could hear it like a drum-beat in the uncomfortable silence.

"I see my plan has worked." My father spoke first.

I didn't reply to his statement, as I knew that whatever I said would go his advantage.

"You seem to be sweating." He remarked, the corners of his mouth still turing up into an evil smile.

"I see that your voice has gone."

I rolled my eyes, and he sighed.

"Well, there's no need for you to speak anyway- you just need to do as I say."

'Do what I say?!'

Is he joking?!

I will never do what he says. Not any more.