Chapter 5 ~Alana~

I could feel Morgans eyes drilling holes into the back of my head but I ignored his confused looks as I carried on greeting people.

"Good evening. I love your dress"

"Hello, I'm glad you could make it".

Just as I was greeting some over- friendly Sun, who kept apologising for everything, then complimenting something before apologising again I overheard a conversation.

"Well, my batty old great aunt believes she can contact the dead! If she were a dog, she would be put down. Ha ha hahgaahaa"

My head snapped round as I looked for the source of the deep booming voice.

If she can talk to the dead, I can talk to my mum. I can find out who murdered her.

Ahah! I've got it!

I walk past a circle of people, looking at the name label of a large man, whose cheeks were the colour of cherries, and the tip of his nose a strawberry, his pudgy pink hands was clutching a glass of champagne, two gourmet burgers, a selection of canapés and a large glass of red wine.

Lord Benjamin McDegal. A Sword. What a surprise.

I smiled as I walked past the group, pushing through the crowds, heading for the doors. I walked out and took a deep breath of the much cooler, cleaner air. Gulping it in like a drowning man.

*********

I sprinted through the house, until I reached my turret.

2nd floor. Clothes

I rummaged through the shelves of my walk in wardrobe.

Jumper, shorts, thermals, vest.

It's amazing how much the weather changes in the kingdoms.

1st floor. Equipment.

I jumped down the stairs, before grabbing my purse of the table, I peered inside, checking how much I had. £60 and 426 kingdom crowns. That'll be enough.

A map of the kingdoms. A dagger-just in case (not that I could use it)

Food. I looked in my tiny fridge, shoving bottles of water and packets of biscuits into my now half full rucksack.

3rd floor. Toiletries.

I ran up the spiralling stairs, taking two at a time until I reached my bathroom.

Dry shampoo, hair brush, toothbrush, first aid kit.

I stood still for a moment, staring at my reflection in my mirror. My eyes were red and my cheeks were puffy and blotchy. Through my watering eyes, I saw  my mother staring back at me.

Why am I doing this? She's gone. Someone murdered her. I can't bring her back. Somebody already did it.

Is that what I'm doing, getting revenge? Yes.

I have nothing left except revenge.

I shook my head, snapping out of my dark thoughts.

4th floor. Personal things.

I walked slowly up the stairs this time, dreading having to pick up the final items for my journey.

My blanket from when I was a baby. My locket, enchanted so that I could never lose it, with a tiny picture of my mum inside it.

A photo, crinkled with age, of me and my mother, taken before we had any worries, before we had to think about homework, or weather we should invite the Diamonds to a christening or not. I kissed it, then placed it on the top of my now full rucksack.

I took one last look round my room, before I walked downstairs, closing the door behind me.

See you later room. I have an old woman to find.

"Ow" I squealed, rubbing my forehead, looking up to see what I'd walked into.

Oh.... OMG... I just touched him. AAAAAAHHHH.

Morgan.

*********

We walked in uncomfortable silence around the gardens.

What does he want? I need to go. Please leave.

"Where were you going?" He asked.

Wow, his voice is really really really sexy. Deep and silky and smooth...

"Oh... None of your business" I replied, blushing.

Nosy Parker.

He looked over at me again and sighed. I knew what he was going to say, I just didn't want him to.

Please don't say it. Saying it will make it real; it will tell me it's really happened. Please don't.

"Sorry about your Mom." He said, concern in his vibrant green eyes.

Aww. He's worried about me. That's so sweet. Mum would worry. Mom.

I have to go.

"Thanks. Err... I really have to go, there's something I need to do. Sorry" I blurted, probably sounding like something was wrong with me.

I waved awkwardly then ran off, my rucksack banging over my shoulder.

Luckily the gate to the fields was open because of the coronation, and the enchanted roses gave off a pink glow, leading the way out into the kingdoms, like torches of hope, helping me get some sort of closure for my mother.

I stood at the gate and looked back at my house, there were lights on and people in every window, but to me it still looked empty.

Without mum this is just a house, not my home.

I sighed and turned round, looking out over the roses kingdom. It was obviously enchanted, so mortals didn't know it was here. The house was a kind of portal leading into the kingdoms.

I stepped out onto a little dirt path that lead away from the house, smiling at the beautiful rose gardens and vineyards.

When I was younger my mum and I would go riding through the vineyards, chasing each other or just talking, letting the horses walk at their own pace.

I love you mum.

I miss you.

I sighed again, and then without looking back I walked off into the kingdoms.

Come on you batty old woman. You better not be hard to find.