Chapter 1 ~Alana~

© Copyright 2014 sunshinelollipops and abc146

I hadn't heard the fire bell in ages. But I guess our school isn't particularly the type to take health and safety that seriously.

Every time I do hear the alarm, though, it always seemed louder than expected-and even more annoying; droning on and on, shreiking as if it were actually burning from the fire itself.

I rattled and tugged at the door's handle, frustrated.

Why won't you open you stupid door?!

I made one last, futile attempt to open it and let out a growl as I let go. It was starting to get hot. Outside the room I could hear over-dramatic screams of other teenagers, while others shouted something I couldn't make out.

If anyone would kindly shut them up, I would willingly pay them.

I peered out the little window in the door and saw flames everywhere, their red tongues licking the walls, slithering around like a python ready to strike. I glanced over to the only other person in the room, some popular guy in the year above.

I'm going to have to watch a human die. I hate to complain, but that isn't exactly my defenition of fun...

He occasionally glanced around the room with uninterested eyes, when he wasn't furiously typing on his brand new state of the art phone again. I pursed my lips, looking him up and down with a judging stare.

Quite hot; he'd probably look better with shorter hair though...

What is my problem? He's about to burn and I'm checking him out. Wow. I'm pretty sure that's classed as heartlessness.

I looked away, and back at the door, which was now turning slightly black and buckling under the heat. I gazed at it, wrinkling my nose at the smell of a burning school.

Do you think if I shove him out the window he'll live?

I ran over to the window, and looked out over a once green grass patch.

Nope, flames there as well.

I plopped myself down in one of the plastic chairs, whilst taking my cardigan off and flinging it onto a nearby table, almost knocking school books onto the dingy green carpet.

It's getting hot in here.... so take off all your clothes....

No, Alana! This is not the time for song lyrics! Grow up!

I shook my head to get the thoughts out, then realised how stupid I looked.

I glanced at the boy again, this time to find him staring at me. I smiled slowly but awkwardly, crossing my legs, remembering what my mum had told me about appearances and looking proper and elegant and ladylike and blah blah blah.

I'm flirting with someone whose soon to be dead, what's wrong with me?

He looked away, and back to his phone, smirking as a new text pinged onto the screen. Suddenly the door burst into flames, with a loud bang, sending splinters of wood spiralling across the room and causing me to let out a pathetic, girly squeal.

He's going to die. I'm going to have to watch this hotty die.

If I hug him, will it protect him? No, stop just making up excuses to touch him!

OK. Alana. Think.

The flames were now crawling into the room, rolling across the manky school carpet.