1.4

Chapter 14

Leah's POV

Alone. The sun was beginning to set and the beach was becoming empty, and for the first time I felt alone. Never had I felt so scared to come across the thought that I was a human being walking around feeling empty and terrified of life. My concept on everyone had changed.

My father was no longer my father nor a human being to me because he had left us for a new family. Luke was no longer my high school crush, no, he was so much more than that. All I can think about is how is it possible to love him so much when he feels nothing for you?

For the first time in my life, I thought about running away. It's not like anyone would care. Certainly not Luke. Going to school wouldn't be easy what with Calum and Luke attending as well. Then there was Emily who wouldn't care because she was self-centered and no longer cared about this family. And my mom who was hardly ever home so it's not like she'd notice. Michael would eventually move on since he's got a new girlfriend so I'd be easy to forget.

And when I brought my head up to get ready for a long journey home, I felt someone lay a hand on my shoulder, turning over immediately. Calum. He was looking down on me with a small smile as he sat down. He looked in front of him, and chuckled. "I didn't mean to startle you, Leah."

I frowned, "How did you anyways?"

"Michael and I were looking for you until his mum called him. Said it was an emergency so I came all by myself," He turned and looked at me, "And I found you."

I brought my knees in and laid my forehead on them. "Well I'm fine, so you can leave me alone now."

"No way, not until you explain to me what happened at Luke's," he pestered.

I groaned and threw sand at him, "Nothing, okay. Calum just- leave me alone please." My hands were shaking and tears were flowing out of my eyes again. Just when I thought I had stopped crying. My sobs were louder and louder every second and I felt so frail.

Calum laid a hand on my back and rubbed it softly while the other removed the hair on my face. "You know Leah, if there's one thing I know, it's that you're too cool and beautiful of a friend for me to lose." His words warmed my heart up from all the damage it's taken today. "Just tell me what's wrong."

And so I did. I told him about how my dad showed up and how he has other children. I told him how I got so drunk and decided to go to Luke's and got him drunk and we hooked up again. Everything that was said, every single word, Calum now knew. The whole time I poured my heart out, and he just listened. Not one muscle was moved in that moment. I didn't know if it was good or bad and if he'd stop talking to me, but it's not like it'd hurt me any more than I already was.

Once I finished, Calum didn't speak. He didn't move either. Not until I waved a hand in his face. "I'm going to kill Luke," he mumbled, still not moving. "I'm going to kill him."

I furrowed my eyebrows and shot him a confused look. He tensed up next to me for a moment and then brought my closer to him. My head was on his shoulder while his free hand rubbed my shoulder. "Calum, what do I do?"

"Wait." He started drawing circles on my back and for some reason it was comforting. "Luke's an ass hat. He'll figure it out eventually, but until then, continue with life Leah. I will sit with you at lunch and walk you to class. Luke's an ass hole that can't express his feeling for you, but just know he likes you."

I sighed, "I love him, Cal."

"I know," he whispered. "I know."

~