0.5

Chapter 5

Leah's POV

My Sunday nights were almost the same things every week. Sleep, eat, and play board games with my mom. When my dad walked out on us, we all decided to have a close relationship. It was mostly my brother's idea since he started taking role as the man and supporter of the house. We had always played board games, it was tradition. Until my brother went away for college and Emily 'grew out' of that stage. It was just me and my mom.

But tonight was different. She was going on a date. After so many years she was finally going out on a date. How could I hold it against her to break tradition when she was finally happy? I couldn't!

I was left alone. Just me, food, the tv, and the couch. Emily had gone with who knows what and where that I didn't really care for.

Spongebob was playing on the tv while I ate chips and drank soda. Then there was a knock at the door. I'm so used to saying "Come in," that I didn't think about stranger danger. But it was just Luke, which was worse because I looked like a hobo and I was laying on the couch eating away the chips.

I mean, he already saw me so there was no use in moving and trying to make myself half presentable so I just laid there as he chuckled at me. "Are you comfortable?" He joked.

"Why yes, I am. Care to join me?" I didn't realize what I had been asking, but neither did Luke. He walked towards me and sat on my butt. "Cant... breathe..."

He got off and laughed even harder. Probably at my red face from lack of oxygen. "What are you even doing here? You could've called to warn me!"

"I wanted to surprise you! I thought maybe we could head back to my place and watch movies and eat pizza hut!" he suggested. I thought about, the more I did, the lazier I became. "You can't say no because my mum already bought the pizza and is expecting you."

I scoffed, "Lucas! Next time, give me a warning! I'm going to look like a hobo in front of your mom!"

"My mum wouldn't even care if you were a hobo, she loves you! She wouldn't shut up about you on Friday!" He laughed.

"Fine," I groaned, pushing myself off the couch. "There better be wings!"

"There is," he informed, making me so happy yet so disgusting because I've only ever eaten wings in front of Michael and I get super messy and gross when that happens. Oh well, Luke and I are just friends.

The drive to Luke's was mostly talk about the weekend and school work. We discussed the classes we had with each other, and even found out that we had lunch together. I wouldn't have known because I always ate in the halls by my locker since Michael was my only lunch buddy and now that he graduated I had no one. Luke promised he would start sitting with me at lunch, but who knew.

We arrived at his house moments later, only to be greeted by Amber. She was leaned against a car in the drive way scrolling through her phone. Amber was one the meanest girls in school. She was an air head and only cared about five things: boys, shopping, make-up, having sex with almost everybody in school, and herself. She dated Luke before the end of the school year last year, but maybe it never stopped?

Luke gave me a confused look, then looked back to Amber who still hadn't acknowledge us. "Amber? What the fuck are you doing here?"

She shot a glance at me, and then to Luke, "I came to see you dork. You've been ignoring my calls and texts and at school you don't sit with us anymore." She looked at me and rolled her eyes, "Is it because of this loser?"

"Amber, she's not a loser and you need to leave," Luke was beginning to get agitated with her. "I don't want anything to do with you or the guys on the football team, so get the fuck out of my house, never come back, never talk to me, and leave Leah alone. She's cooler than you'll ever be." His face was as red a tomato.

Amber began walking down the drive way to her car when she yelled, "You'll regret this, Luke!"

She drove away and left the both of us frozen in front of Luke's house. I felt as if he was trying to come up with an apology or an explanation, but all I did was laugh.

"What's so funny?" he loosened up.

"I just can't believe you dated, that," I laughed. Maybe it was rude to say, but someone like Luke deserves better than Amber. She always had to pull a dramatic scene for almost every moment of her life as if she was in a tv show. How Luke could've possibly fallen for her was beyond me.

He shrugged and chuckled, "I don't know but I regret it a lot."

"Dating Amber?" I asked.

"My high school years in general," he grabbed my hand and pulled me into his house leaving me dumbfounded at what he said.

If tonight was going to go well at all, I needed Luke to answer questions. Not silly questions as to why he ever fell for Amber, but why they broke up and he won't talk to any of his teammates anymore.

I didn't want to be dragged into something by Amber. For god sakes it was my last year in there and all I wanted to do was stay of the radar but I probably just put myself right in it.