0.6

Chapter 6

Leah's POV

Luke had wondered off to go get the food and drinks while I stayed in his room scrolling through twitter. I only followed bands on it along with some fangirls and Michael. He's considered a fangirl since he's always tweeting All Time Low.

Ben and Jack stumbled in, both giggling and smirking. "Can I help you?" I questioned completely confused at this encounter. They both laughed some more before running away. Luke came in moments later, rolling his eyes. He probably saw Ben and Jack.

"They're so annoying," he mumbled, throwing himself on the bed. "I'm sorry, they think you're my girlfriend and will do anything possible to embarrass me."

I giggled, "It's okay Luke. So let's eat?" He nodded and sat up to open the pizza box with wings inside. I was very excited for tonight's movie night, but I was hoping to get some questions answered.

"Luke?" He had a pizza stuffed in his mouth while holding back a laugh. "Can I ask you something?" Obviously he couldn't talk, so he nodded while trying to chew the pizza. And I thought I was a messy eater.

"Why did you stop talking to all your friends this year? And Amber?" I asked. He chewed slower and his gaze shifted to the floor. The room fell silent besides the soft noises coming from the TV, but it was uncomfortable and awkward. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get you-"

He chuckled and swallowed the pizza whole, "It's okay, Leah. Don't worry." His eyes met mine for seconds before they went back to the floor again. "Amber was basically sleeping with the entire football team, so I decided it was time for change this year."

Woah. I thought it was going to be a challenge to get anything out of Luke, but I was completely wrong.

Luke stared at me for a while, then I realized I hadn't said anything. I ran a hand through my hair trying to come up with something to say but how could you say anything to that? Someone just tells you their ex-girlfriend had been sleeping with the entire football team, how are you supposed to come up with something to say?

I opened my mouth to speak, but Luke beat me to it. "You don't have to say sorry or anything for that matter. Amber was a whore, I don't know why I dated her."

"You got me there," I confessed. Only the entire school knew how trashy she was, but no one really cared because either you wanted to be like her or get inside her. My school was so fucked up. "I'm not a huge fan of Amber or any of the football players."

Luke scoffed and put a hand over his heart as if I'd hurt his feelings, "Oh c'mon Luke, I didn't mean you!"

He chuckled and grabbed the bag of chips, "I know I was an asshole all these three years, I just didn't realize it till this summer, after..."

I got a bit uncomfortable since the last time we spoke about it was the weekend before school started. I had forgotten about it for a while. I swallowed the huge lump in my throat and stared at the floor a while.

"Leah, I'm really sorry about that night. I-"

He started but I didn't want to hear about it anymore. "It's fine Luke, can we just forget it?" He nodded and proceeded into stuffing his face with chips.

I still had more questions, but I didn't want it to come back to the night. I didn't want to feel more awkward, but I wanted to know everything and anything about Luke and why he did what he did.

"Luke, if you don't mind me asking-"

"What are we playing twenty questions now?" He smirked, keeping his eyes on the TV. He pressed play on the movie. "Continue."

"Why were you a narcissistic asshole for three years?" We both ended up laughing at my question because of how cruel it sounded. But it was the truth.

Luke Hemmings was the school's cockiest, conceited asshole. He had several girlfriends until Amber of course. He only talked to jocks and sluts on the cheerleading team or sluts in general with big tits. At least that's what Michael told me, and what I heard in the halls. All I ever saw from Luke was him with a different girl almost every week and picking at the guys in the math club.

"I was dumb I guess," he sighed. "I regret almost everything I did to everyone, all the rude things I said. The biggest thing I regret was not protecting you last year." His eyes got a little watery and immediately knew what he was talking about.

Junior year. It was a dark year for me. My brother had left for college so there was no more protecting me. He was in music classes but everyone loved him because of his giant muscles. Because he worked so much to help my mom out, he never had time to join sports. Anyways, he wasn't there to protect me that year so of course I was the target. I was an average loser who didn't join any school activities or didn't live up to my brother's name. I was just average. And of course, Luke's friends picked on me. He never joined in on the pranks, the teasing, or the name calling, but he never stopped it either.

I looked into his glossy faded blue eyes. "I wanted to stop it, but-"

"Luke I get it. Girls like me shouldn't be talking to guys like you." As much as it hurt to say, it was true. I didn't wear skirts with a ton of make up. I hated the idea of having to wake up hours early to style out of my hair, and I loathed stressing over what matches and what doesn't with clothes.

"It's not that at all!" He shouted, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "Leah I let popularity get the best of me, but that Luke is done. I'm not that person anymore." He grabbed my hand in his and stroked it with his thumb. "I'm going to make this up to you, I swear."

Luke holding my hand made my palm get sweaty. Scratch that, my whole body was sweaty. My stomach fluttered, and I quickly pulled away to scratch my cheek in embarrassment. It was my first reaction, don't judge. "How?"

He fiddled with his fingers and bit his lip rather harshly, his eyes invested with mine. "Just wait for it, Leah." He smiled, an incredibly adorable yet dorky smile. One with his full straight teeth yet it was cheesy because he was trying to hard to be cute. He didn't even need to try, he was adorable.

I decided to drop the conversation in whole and go on with our movie night. A night of disgusting burp contests during the boring parts and constant 'Aw's from Ben and Jack every couple of minutes.